Thinking about moving hives down the hill

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Browntea

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi folks I'm thinking about moving my hives about 7 miles, currently there are on top of a moor with all the moor type forage, heather gorse etc, my thinking is to bring them down the hill to a spot about half a mile from our town to enjoy folks gardens plus the surrounding rape if we ever get any decent weather that is! The difference in temp from top of hill to town location can be around 3c, comments welcomed thanks

Sounds a good idea, a place sheltered from our easterly winds if possible as we now seem to suffer from them throughout the osr flowering period. Maybe we have had quota for this year with any luck.

Why not move half of them? I would not want to loose the heather honey or the advantage of the extra apiary.

Ok, the trailers on!! Shelter is no problem as I can put them inside an old stone shed no roof, I will try and get a pic posted and as for loosing the heather honey I won't this is just going to be a move move till late July then I will take them back to the heather, I love heather honey!

Problem with ling heather is it only flowers end July/ August.
I would move them all and move some of them back end Juy for the heather.

Hi

Bring them down for the Spring and Summer and back up for the Heather in Autunm. I would also seriously think about Wintering them in the Valley, I was on Dartmoor the other day and its like another f&^$(&% planet. Cold does not begin to describe the wind:eek:

Ian

Latest posts

Back