Moving large hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There wouldn't be a super under the clearer board
Only you know whether there's enough room in one BB for all the bees, but JBM & FM's suggestion to add an empty super will reduce risk significantly.
put a board on top of them (rather than a full roof)
No need if you mesh the escape holes and strap down.

Thanks to the forum.

Update:
At 19:30 last night (saturday), installed rhombus board above queen excluder on both hives, and sealed entrance with grass and tape.
At 06:30 this morning, took off supers, placed board on top of rhombus board, and strapped brood hive tight.
Put a board under supers, removed roof (there's a clear crown board on top of the supers) and strapped them tight,
Loaded up truck with hives, supers, stands and paving stabs
Drove to new located.
Located slab, stand, hive and super in new location.
Took tape off entrance, tried to put grass in entrance, but wind blew it away.
Entrance facing east, with trees at rear of hives, so sheltered from SW winds. (Worried about the "best from the east" in the winter)

Bees had started to fly out.

Lets hope they are ok in new location.

.. Reason for move... Bees were on a field next to some allotments, and plot holders were unhappy about the bees flying around them as they tended their plots.

Again, thanks to all on the forum.

I’ve moved mine a mile away and had no problems with returning bees. I moved them in the evening, put some green grass in the entrance to seal it, stuffed it tight! Moved them, pulled out some of the grass and left the rest to die. Put a bushy branch across the entrance as well. Might have helped that the two places were very different.
I am planning to move two hives, about a mile away but not sure whether I should do it now or wait until its warmer Any ideas?

Best to move now while it is brrrr, though forecast for the next several days is for temps to start rising to near doule digits.

The last week or two would have been ideal.

I am planning to move two hives, about a mile away but not sure whether I should do it now or wait until its warmer Any ideas?
If you’re moving a hive a short distance a period of cold weather is good. However if your moving over a distance and bees are likely to get bumped around and dislodged I’d wait for a warmer period to be on the safe side.

Last edited:
If you’re moving a hive a short distance a period and of cold weather is good. However if your moving over a distance and bees are likely to get bumped around and dislodged I’d wait for a warmer period to be on the safe side.
Same thoughts here thanks.

Latest posts

Back