They never cease to amaze!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdsandbees

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 ish
Had a call about a swarm around 5 miles away on Sunday so off I went and returned with said swarm, a little while later my bait hive which has been say there with little interest had scouts wandering in and out of it (must be scouts from the Nuc still in swarm mode I thought) Monday while at work another call to say a small cluster had gathered where the the swarm was collected so I Said I'd box em up on my way home if they were still there.
I arrived home to see numerous bees in and out of the bait hive so after adding the stragglers to the rest of their swarm in the Nuc out of curiosity I popped the lid off the bait hive to discover another swarm that had taken up residence!
I see someone already use the saying in recent post but I did think to myself...

'these swarms are like buses!'

Some seem to be easily amazed. What was the bait hive for?

Collecting the whole swarm (even if it meant waiting until flying ceased for the day) would have been better than having to return, but I suppose there would be a small risk of them leaving, if early in the day..... putting a Q/E under the collecting box, when sure the queen is in there would virtually resolve that risk (unless a scrubby queen?)

Latest posts

Back