The winter of 1962/3

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No central heating either. Mum used to light the gas oven in the cooker and open the door to heat the kitchen so that sister and I could get washed and dressed in the morning.

As the eldest, I had to get up earlier and light the fire. ( for bontbee's information, no fire, no hot water) If I was very lucky my parents would have had a late night and there could be some embers still glowing. Still had to clear out the ashes though.

Do you remember trying to get the fire to draw by putting a sheet of newspaper over the front !

If you didn't time it right the whole lot caught fire, bloody dangerous if you think of it now.

Do you remember trying to get the fire to draw by putting a sheet of newspaper over the front !

If you didn't time it right the whole lot caught fire, bloody dangerous if you think of it now.

Oh yes, good job the elf & safety geezers were not about then. :icon_204-2:

we were lucky around us - a lot of people worked in the local engineering factory if they weren't underground - most had steel 'blowers' to put in front of the fire to get it to draw, my grandfather was stores manager - so we had a stainless steel one!
I need a blower to get the fire going in the old chapel, it's a big old thing, I have to use newspaper nowadays, they know in the village when the fire is to be lit as I go into the shop and buy a copy of the Telegraph - it takes two sheets to cover the fr4ont of the fireplace

In the winter of 1962 / 63, I was a pupil at Bromley Technical School, Kent (with David Bowie in my class). It started snowing on Boxing Day and the same snow was on the ground in March. We walked or cycled the 3 miles from West Wickham to school every day. I don't remember being sent home early from school, or having any days off school. This was 15 years before I started with bees in 1978.

Does anyone know what happened to the bees that winter, I fear we may be due a winter of similar consequence this year.

I was only 7 at the time it set in but remember it clearly, out with my father and the roads had so much snow that when the ploughs went through the snow walls on each side were far higher than his van. Clearly recall watching deer jump over the road above the van.

However, my father is still alive and his records are still to the fore.

Bees wintered reasonably well that winter and 1963 was an average to above average year. The following winter was a stinker for nosema however, and in the late winter and spring of 1964 he had a vast stack of stained hives to clean out and sterilise.

I remember that one well too....I was 'helping' him as a small boy....and also recall my mother coming and seeing what he was facing up to and praising him for his spirit at being able to carry on in the face of such issues.

The real nostalgics will be doing the Pythonesque Yorkshireman snorts and derisory remarks.........1962/63? Nothing! Now early 1947....that was a winter! Did not see the ground till May was in. My father did not start in bees till 1950 so he has no records going back that far.

I was only 7 at the time it set in but remember it clearly, out with my father and the roads had so much snow that when the ploughs went through the snow walls on each side were far higher than his van. Clearly recall watching deer jump over the road above the van.

However, my father is still alive and his records are still to the fore.

Bees wintered reasonably well that winter and 1963 was an average to above average year. The following winter was a stinker for nosema however, and in the late winter and spring of 1964 he had a vast stack of stained hives to clean out and sterilise.

I remember that one well too....I was 'helping' him as a small boy....and also recall my mother coming and seeing what he was facing up to and praising him for his spirit at being able to carry on in the face of such issues.

The real nostalgics will be doing the Pythonesque Yorkshireman snorts and derisory remarks.........1962/63? Nothing! Now early 1947....that was a winter! Did not see the ground till May was in. My father did not start in bees till 1950 so he has no records going back that far.

The real problem in my part of East Yorkshire was the flooding caused by the melting when the thaw came. :(

What has this got to do with bees?!

hehe :)

just you wait for this winter,, 3 meters of snow and -25C , and that's in your kitchen :)

Back