The warm way or the cold way

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Warm way theoretically at least is warmer as the combs are parallel with the entrance.

Cold way as they are end on to the entrance, and a wind will blow through the bee spaces equally.

On omf there is even ventilation. Again in theory.

PH

Langstroh hive standard was published in 1652. I admit, that it was not my fault and they did not asked anything from me.

Thanks to heaven, i have elecyrict haing in hives. I may choose wind energy, straw energy or waterwall enegy. I like atom energy.

Atom energy heated hives. It is my case.

I have a mix if warm way and cold way depending on the location and how I have to work the hives.

The only issue I have found was on one colony that is cold way, when I removed the entrance block to give them more room for access, they propolised the bottom if the frames together to the floor in an attempt to reduce the opening. So I cleaned the frames and put the entrance block back.

Are lay lines the thing that are found with bent bits coat hangers but never seen ?

I think it does not make too much difference in the commonly used "vertical hives"

It does make a difference in the long horisontal hives. (TBH too)

Bees leave empty the comb immediately at the entrance, then store pollen, then brood and honey far from the entrance.

In warm way you can extract frames full of honey while in cold way almost all frames contain some honey some brood and some pollen.

Cold makes life easier for the bees to get out en mass in the breaks in the terrible weather we are having this year, lots of frame exits, rather than havin to go down or round or has all this rain sent me even dafter?

Cold makes life easier for the bees to get out en mass in the breaks in the terrible weather we are having this year, lots of frame exits, rather than havin to go down or round or has all this rain sent me even dafter?

uninsulated ply hives and a mesh floors.
And feeding hole open.
Don't speak about warm.

Keep your lines!

Im new to this so its prob a daft question but, can you change from warm way in winter to cool in summer?

Yes,
just rotate the brood box 90˚
Bees don't care a jot though.
Orientation of frames is for ease of inspection.

Im new to this so its prob a daft question but, can you change from warm way in winter to cool in summer?
Sure you can - but why? One isn't really 'warmer' than the other.
Better to decide, for your apiary, where you prefer to stand - and then orient the frames to suit that working position.

Latest posts

Back