the novice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think "the visiting" beekeepers should have been reminded that they were on private property and that if anything goes missing you will be paying them a visit. :cheers2:

White Park - I was going to ask you if you kept cattle. That looks a beautiful beast. I am very envious if you can keep livestock like that. I can't even keep chickens where i live.
Most of my neighbours know I keep bees and several have said they want to buy honey when i start producing. One next door neighbour has come round and donned a bee suit to look in the hive. The new neighbour did not seem impressed but she cannot complain as they fly over her garden ar about 8 feet up and they have not put her off barbeques. Funny woman- erected high fences as soon as she moved in and seems to want to have nothing to do with any of the neighbours.
Even though I have two other locations to put bees i do always intend to keep a couple of hives at least at home. I think it is important that people realise that bees can coexist with people in towns....and anyway there is better bee forage in town.
I do find that the media attention is getting honey bees and bumble bees a lot of public sympathy. When I get swarm calls and they are about bumble bees or masonry bees everyone has been happy to live with them after I have reassured them about how gentle those bees are. I have only had to rehome one nest of bumble bees and that was because the shed above them had been demolished - they are doing very well in their new home on my patio. Unlike the honey bees they stick round the garden and add interest to the flower beds. The honey bees bugger off somewhere else most of the time!

Its got round my allotment site that I have taken up bees and half the people have already asked if I would put one on the site. There is a LOT of public support for beeks right now.
I'd just like a queenright hive right now. Just waiting on the replacement queen.

Just a follow-up on my little tale, I found out who their "mentor/instructor" is and he has washed his hands of them for various reasons, but principally political and religious beliefs ( he's a retired agricultural worker, staunch Labour and methodist - they are athiest and UKIP but formerly Yuppie Tories from the late 80's who run their own succesful business from home).

So, I've taken a deep breath and become a Mentor -- in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king - working on the principle that i know more than them at the moment.

I invited them to join my local association ( who is over-run with newbies and cannot mentor any more ) and also they joined me for an inspection last night of a couple of my hives including the b*****d one.......thats given them a new insight ....... I'm going round to their place tomorrow to help them find / mark their queen and have a general look at their colony ... they are having a barbeque to follow and a couple of their neighbours who are a bit nervous of the bees next door are coming round as well.

I suppose it's all good PR and gets them in the system rather than outside it, and hopefully they will engage with the social beek's in the association and leave us antisocial beeks to our bees :)

A very enlightened approach I must say, bravo to you :) Even braying Yuppie Tories can be tamed and shown the true path of the beekeeper (grasshopper) I'm sure :D

Latest posts

Back