the novice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do apologise, i now realise the massive task i have taken on,i fear its too much for me and i am frightened that i may not be up to the immense responsibility of keeping these vicious dangerous beasts.I bow to your superior knowledge and wish to get rid of these nasty things.Will ordinary fly spray do?

I dont think you count Steve as you purchased a full colony and jumped in at the deep end.

Many new beekeepers have purchased Nuc's and dont realise that when they get upto a full hive things can get out of hand very fast,I remember myself the first time I went into a full brood box without a mentor with me,I was bloody scared to death and pumping loads of adrenaline,beekeepers need to be prepard for meeting a full colony for the first time and dealing with them,it can come as one hell of a shock as many will testify.

Its far better to practice on a full hive at an association apiary with other's to guide you.

I think you might be right. Hopefully time and experience will dispel most of that. Hey it worked with the chickens!

Pigs are still mean though, little buggers.

I do everything soo slowly at the moment to avoid stings and so far its paying off, I havn't been stung YET.

After my last inspection I went down to the farmhouse to chat with the landowner, in the courtyard there was a couple wrestling with a horse trying to look at its shoes, they asked me to hold the horses head collar...

Now, I'm quite a big bloke, but there's no way was I getting involved with a dumb donkey that just wanted to canter across open fields :beatdeadhorse5:

I think you might be right. Hopefully time and experience will dispel most of that. Hey it worked with the chickens!

Pigs are still mean though, little buggers.

I have found, in my limited experience, that if I go in with a purpose and having achieved that pack them up and walk away, even my bigger and more lively hive is OK. The trick seems to be while in there going one thing keep a weather eye out for anything that might be 'wrong'. Is it multi-tasking or experience? not sure.

Mike.

With regard to the comment about abandoned hives, remember that some of these may have belonged to elderly beekeepers who have died.

I remember about 15 years ago, I was called to two swarms, sitting about 40 yards apart.

Having got them safely gathered up, with help from another beek, we were then told that there had been three more swarms within 100 yards of there, “last week”.

Eventually we found six, very tatty hives, lurking in the corner of a nearby field, well out of sight.

Seems that the owner had died several months previously, and everybody thought that the two hives in his garden, were his total complement of hives.

John

There's a world of difference between someone thinking what they need is "a queen and a drone" and most beginners! Nothing wrong with starting something for the first time, and I don't believe the "average" beginner now is making loads more mistakes than the "average" beginner of several years ago. Of course there will be extremes.

come on you guys dont take it personally, i was merely pointing out that Mikes route of an early reality check is quite possibly the way forward.

Even a few years ago how many of you could say you knew a beekeeper ?? Honestly !!, and yet today, most will know of someone.

We are all capable, and the mere fact we are on here means we have taken some of the right steps.

But i still stand by my observation. rightly or wrongly.

:)

I think the main difference between now and say 15-20 years ago is that back then, a prospective bekeeper had to go out of thier way to find out more about the craft, and most were thought of as eccentric at best!
These days it has been in all forms of media (TV, radio, internet, newspapers, allotment magazines etc) a good amount of which seem to dumb it down and don't portray the amount of work involved or the possible pitfalls.

There are always going to be newcomers that find it hard in their new hobby and move on, it happened years ago and will happen nowadays too. The difference these days though, is that some BKA's now have as many if not more new members than old established ones, and are unable to cope with the demands.

Last edited:
I think Mike's response was spot on, and I totally agree that an "early reality check" is what was needed. It's insane to think that bees or any livestock/animal can be kept without looking into it properly.

BUT I don't believe that beekeeping becoming more popular is a bad thing, and I reckon its harsh to say people are starting with bees becuase it's become "cool". There are loads of new beeks who never considered it a possibility before more media attention, and then learnt and researched: certainly seems like beginners bee keeping couses/classes have suddenly become over-subscribed.

My parents' neighbour kept hives (this was when I was about 3!) - I think the dire warnings to stay away from them must've piqued my interest! Sadly, and as normal, seems like I'm wierd rather than cool :)

I spent my childhood catching bees, wasp, flies, spiders and anything else remotely creepy crawly in jam jars. I dug up ants nests and put them in plastic bottles, i raised butterflies from caterpillars. My mum loved me!!

As a young adult I wanted bees but to be quite honest could not afford all the equipment. So I never bothered. Then with advent of the internet I researched things further, over about 10 years. Then last year after a lifelong journey of passive observation and research I officially became a bee keeper. I have progressed rapidly in the physical aspects of bee keeping because I had a LONG LONG time studying the theory to become one.

This year I have raised queens, performed splits, captured swarms and am mentoring 4 other bee keepers who are just getting started. One of these wasn't 100% sure about being a bee keeper but had bought all the gear and a hive etc. So I made him a deal. We put in a colony of my bees in his hive. He works with them this season under my supervision and together we overwinter them. The bees remain my property and overall responsibility. Then next spring and as part of swarming control we will split the colony. I will take half back and get them running with a new queen, and he keeps the remainder which become his property at that point. That way he becomes a bee keeper with a season of solid guidance, and I get my bees back. Everyone wins really.

Now I know this wont work for everyone, but for us its a great way of avoiding some of the problems shown in this thread.

Jay.

Nice one Mission
I hope to do the same when i am ready.

First response and advice from Mike is spot on.
Bees are a complex live stock that need to be treated correctly .. and as everyone knows little knowlwedge is a dangerous thing.

Best to crawl before sprinting.

Hi Mike
I'm just another of those about to set off on the road to beekeeping... One thing intrigued me though:

"2 .Ask for the free nucleus for new bee keepers on joining the association. " - do you mean the BBKA? I am about to join my local association... but it seems very cheeky to ask for a free nucleus... I can't seem to find any more information on this aspect... can you enlighten me?

Best regards

Ray

Some associations run a "free bees scheme" Basically the way it works is you sign up for 2 years membership and attend meetings at the branch apiary. As and when nucs become available they are allocated to members who look after them at the branch apiary under the guidance of more experienced members at the end of the 2 year period the bees are yours to take away. Some associations provide all the equipment some provide none and some ask that yoou move the bees into your own kit for year two thus freeing up the branch owned kit for the next first years.

You are likely to find though that certainly for this year such deals are already fully subscribed.

David

Hi Ray

"2 .Ask for the free nucleus for new bee keepers on joining the association. " - do you mean the BBKA? I am about to join my local association... but it seems very cheeky to ask for a free nucleus... I can't seem to find any more information on this aspect... can you enlighten me?

Mike is being disingenous. He makes his income from selling nucs and packages with imported queens and is, I think, having a crafty pop at those associations that *do* try their best to supply beginners with free local bees. I spent my afternoon with one such association, and as there are swarms coming out their ears (not literally!) this year, they stand a good chance of pulling this off, despite their record numbers of beginners. I'm trying to get my local association set up with an association apiary which would supply bees to our beginners at a price, but certainly below the price Mike charges.

He also seemed to be saying recently that he was having trouble delivering stock to people in the time period he had promised. Maybe he's not interested in more orders this year.

So yes, of course it would be cheeky to ask in the way Mike suggested. He was just trying to cause trouble. But you may find that your local association can help you in some way, even just by pointing you to someone raising nucs from local bees.

best wishes

Gavin

.. and as everyone knows little knowlwedge is a dangerous thing.

I found two new beekeepers in my Apiary the other night --- no protection at all, they had climbed over the small gate/fence in the gap between 8ft hedges to my hidden Apiary, 100ft from the nearest public footpath and not visable from it.

They had heard from someone in the local village that someone kept bees up on that land and since they had been given their bees ( following a course in april) as a swarm a couple of weeks earlier, wanted to compare them !!!

They were genuinely surprised as I informed them that because their bees were very quiet and docile, other people's might not be and seemed a little put out that I was unhappy they were in the apiary, on private property, without permission

- in fact they were very lucky because I have a hive of b*****ds that I moved there last night prior to re-queening.

Fortunately, thay had not gone as far as opening any of the hives ( yes, they told me theirs were so quiet they could open the hive without protection !) , and having asked around, they are known in the village, not potential thieves, just pushy, arrogant and more money than sense.

However, I do have an uneasy feeling now that perhaps I shouldnt re-queen and keep a "guard hive" -

also, while this is an example of, at best, naive newbies, is it more about the current "me" generation being attracted to beekeeping as it is now "cool and trendy" and increasingly we will be seeing "compensation" claims as hives are kept in unsuitable places and badly managed just to satisfy their egos and dinner party conversations ?

I admit to being a relative newbie myself, but spent 18 months making sure I had apiary sites that were safe, managable and one was remote enough to deal with problem / quarentine hives. I wouldnt dream of entering someone elses apiary without permission, even if it was in full view of the general public, and I certainly treat all hives with a healthy respect until I know them well ( and still get surprised !)

Or am I just over-reacting and becoming a grumpy old f**t ?

I wouldn't consider messing with anyone's livestock acceptable, unless I had their clear permission.
Doesn't matter if they're bees or poultry or pigs or whaever: you don't do it.

Someone over the weekend entered one of my Apiaries and stole a 4 stroke strimmer I purchased last winter and the can of fuel for it,they did leave the old Briggs and Straton lawnmower for me though,how thoughtful of them..

They had to go behind 8 hives to get the equipment,so either stupid or very clever.

I was told by the landowner that the area was secure as nobody ever intruded because of the distance from a public footpath or main road.

It seems that this recession is causing a few people to wonder around places that are normaly safe from prying eyes.

Many local farmers are now installing gates that are locked at night for the first time in 150 years.

Oddly enough people tend not to interfere with my livestock........each being fitted with a pair of handlebars that they can aptly use when they want to!

Or am I just over-reacting and becoming a grumpy old f**t ?

Aso-bloody-lutely not, what is it that makes people think they have the right to interfere with property that does not belong to them, i admire your self control Bucks Boy.

Except for possibility of retribution, a visit from the police to them in their homes might have a sobering affect and make them think twice about their actions. At the moment there is no official record of their irregular fascination for your bees. I don't suppose that you were invited to pop along, by arrangement or otherwise, to view their apiaries.

Two of my close neighbours in the street (urban not countryside) only recently discovered that I keep bees. My next door neighbour on the other remains blissfully unaware, having missed both air-shows which made me grateful for clipped queens.

Need to know - If you have a fleet, don't advertise, just remember Pearl Harbour. Apparently even in this day and age there is a truism that *Loose lips sink ships*. As you said, word has got around the village. That unfortunately is the problem with very small communities, everyone knows everyone else's business.

Good luck, however you handle it, after all you only have their word for it that they weren't actually *casing the joint*. I assume you asked them for their details, even though they may informally be known to you? Just another think that might make an honest person think twice about the gravity of the situation.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back