The look of a swarm - a question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louiseww

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 hives
I noticed that my new nucleus of bees were swarming yesterday morning - I followed them and found that they had gathered underneath a large trampoline two doors up. The people very kindly let me collect them. Getting underneath to collect them was an interesting experience for two reasons. First they had gathered in a perfect ball under a circle pattern in the centre of the trampoline. Secondly because I was looking at them in the shade they looked so beautiful and were glistening as though they were covered in honey! Does anyone know why they looked so shiny which I have never noticed when inspecting my bees normally.
They hived very quickly and I am hoping they will stay as the weather has turned windy and showery again. Does anyone recommend putting the queen excluder underneath to stop the queen leaving? I have had a few swarms leave recently after all the effort of collection and have wondered what I am doing wrong.
Thanks
Louise bee-smillie

I have never done it but maybe a frame of brood it you have one spare might keep her and being a nuc will help with numbers. Love it when they are at a nice easy to retrieve.

How long have you had this nucleus for and where did it come from?

Unusual (assuming they have been given sufficient space to expand) for a nucleus to swarm. How often had you been checking them?

How long have you had this nucleus for and where did it come from?

Unusual (assuming they have been given sufficient space to expand) for a nucleus to swarm. How often had you been checking them?

This was an artificial swarm from my two hives about the last week of April - it was done by the chairman of the association because I had just only been out of hospital for a week after a heart attack. However, the next day there was a small swarm from one of my hives in next door's garden and because I didn't have much energy I collected and added to this AS which was queenless - but with queencells -liberal sprinkling of sugar and they settled in nicely. I know it wasn't the right thing to do, but needs must in a crisis. So I am now presuming that the queen cells hatched, queen mated and one of the queens had to leave. So pleased that I managed to catch them. A good sized swarm - I am just about to feed them as the weather has turned into windy and wet!
Louise

Latest posts

Back