The Great Honey Heist !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They will soon know when your informing them and selling yours for £40 lb

Now, should i buy a Fiat Panda or a Bentley.

Buy a decent car at a fair price, forget your Bentleys or your Fortnum and Masons , they are not relevant to this topic, all that is relevant is a fair price for a premium product.

There is always the exclusive outlets selling Preserves, Honey, Shoes Y Fronts for exorbitant prices , they are not relevant to this discussion but are for the small number of elite shoppers

Buy a decent car at a fair price, forget your Bentleys or your Fortnum and Masons , they are not relevant to this topic, all that is relevant is a fair price for a premium product.

I agree, forget the Bentley, go for a middle of the road Range rover sport, no need to pay any heed to the Ford Ka or fiat pandas.

I agree, forget the Bentley, go for a middle of the road Range rover sport, no need to pay any heed to the Ford Ka or fiat pandas.

What ??

Detect a lot of cynicism here , never about Fortnum , Range rovers ?? You keep bringing it back there , why I am not sure ?

Again just about mis selling bad honey in multiples and a getting a decent price for high quality honey, and about the consumers lack of awareness
?

If you disagree well and good, that's good healthy debate, but not sure why you keep reverting to the exclusive analogies

I have never been in F & M , couldn't be bothered , don't shop ever in the Irish equivalent Brown Thomas , at a push might head to Marks and Sparks .

Detect a lot of cynicism here , never about Fortnum , Range rovers ?? You keep bringing it back there , why I am not sure ? K

The comparison is with everything we buy.

Expensive top quality honey from F&M which we cannot compete with for price, our middle of the road cheaper quality honey, or the cheap imported rubbish(well some of it)

Funnily enough this is a sign I have use on my stall for the last few years.
sbb.jpg

But seems I'm a cheapskate, only getting £12/lb for heather honey and £14/lb for cut comb. No wonder I sold out of stock today at Pickering. The customers are not mugs, they know a bargain when they see one.
Time for another price hike!

Funnily enough this is a sign I have use on my stall for the last few years.
sbb.jpg

But seems I'm a cheapskate, only getting £12/lb for heather honey and £14/lb for cut comb. No wonder I sold out of stock today at Pickering. The customers are not mugs, they know a bargain when they see one.

Looks like the consumers are very aware of a good product, they are obviously not so stupid as some think they are.

Some are, some aren't; those that aren't want to know why they should pay my cheap (was exorbitant, until I saw F&M's.......) price when they can buy it at Lidl for less than £2.
Some you win, some you don't bother trying to.

They will soon know when your informing them and selling yours for £40 lb

Now, should i buy a Fiat Panda or a Bentley.

The comparison is with everything we buy.

Expensive top quality honey from F&M which we cannot compete with for price, our middle of the road cheaper quality honey, or the cheap imported rubbish(well some of it)

Looks like the consumers are very aware of a good product, they are obviously not so stupid as some think they are.

Who said anything about £ 40 lb .. You maybe ?

Who said consumers were " Stupid " ... You maybe

Many though as I am sure you realise are mis informed , do you believe you average consumer realises that the Rowse or other brand honey is from mainly non eu sources and processed within an inch of its life .

Not the same as " Stupid " just mis informed

If you think the prices achieved are fair.. OK... If you think Ms or Ms Punter knows the difference between our locally produced honey and the multiple brands ... OK

And forget Range Rovers and exceptions such as those ridiculously priced jars of Honey and Jam in F &M not relevant here to the points I have raised

You may have noticed that the "Welsh Chunk Honeycomb Amphora" is actually "only" £21 for 908g, or £10.50 per lb. That's not much outside what folk charge anyway.

Apropos labelling, there are a couple of items that IMHO require that this honey not be labelled as "Irish":

From this EU directive on honey labelling:

... the product names may be supplemented by information referring to:
- regional, territorial or topographical origin, if the product comes entirely from the indicated source,

To me, this indicates that you may add the word "Irish" to the product name, i.e. "Irish Honey", but only if the product comes entirely from the indicated source, i.e. Ireland. Interestingly, the justification for the introduction of this requirement is spelled out in the document:

(2) Council Directive 74/409/EEC of 22 July 1974 on the harmonisation of the laws of the Member States relating to honey(4) was justified by the fact that differences between national laws on the definition of honey, the various types of honey and the characteristics required of it could result in conditions of unfair competition likely to mislead consumers, and thereby have a direct effect on the establishment and functioning of the common market.

Isn't this exactly what Brian was complaining about in the original posting - unfair competition and deliberately misleading the consumer?

Not in Yorkshire you couldn't. I sell mine at £5/lb and the number of people who scream 'How much', is unbelievable.

Perhaps you need to get some lessons in selling, and where, from Thymallus, and get a bit more than you do now, he is in Yorkshire, and thinking of a price hike on what he currently sells for below .

But just to show you your not the cheapest, i currently sell mine for £2.30 lb

Last edited:
Strange forum

- do not extract you honey from hives. Love bees, not yields.
- money is not important
- take double price from honey
- honey contaminated with necotioids
- honey foraged from clean traffic verges
- bumbbles are dieing too
- all importing is bad.
- Europe is not 20 miles far away. Propaganda!

Sir Francis Drake already tried to stop importing but it did not succeeded.

Last edited:
HM the fact that the advert shows nude people dancing past beehives than then pans out showing a picture of the UK, most normal people would assume that the honey they sell is from the UK.

Then it will say so on the label, but people should never just assume anything.

The information on both Gales and Rowse labels is printed so small as to need a magnifying glass.

I sell mine at £5/lb and the number of people who scream 'How much', is unbelievable.
I sell mine at £5 for 12oz. I've never advertised, never put a sign at the gate, and only immediate neighbours know there are bees in the garden. It's these neighbours that buy, for themselves and their friends, so there's a steady trickle of sales throughout the year - more in the run up to Christmas.

I don't offer any other sized jars. No arguments about the price, ever, even though it's dearer than from other beekeepers who sell through local shops.

The information on both Gales and Rowse labels is printed so small as to need a magnifying glass.

I can read it okay without a magnifying glass, so perhaps a visit to spec savers for those that can't.

Last edited:
perhaps a visit to spec savers for those that can't.

Tried that, no use, didn't work for yellowish text printed directly on a clear container with medium coloured honey behind it. Not designed to be easily read!

Tried that, no use, didn't work for yellowish text printed directly on a clear container with medium coloured honey behind it. Not designed to be easily read!

Perhaps if asked they would put it on there in braille for those who are visually impaired.

Last edited:
Not in Yorkshire you couldn't. I sell mine at £5/lb and the number of people who scream 'How much', is unbelievable.

Oh yes you can!
I sell at Pickering Farmers market (!st Thursday of every month, except January) , which is 10 minutes down the road from you. £6 for 8oz jars of Heather, £5 for 12oz Jars of "ordinary" honey and £7 for 8oz heather cut comb. .... yesterday sold out of the heather honey I took with me....and it was a poor day trading wise.
They are getting a locally naturally sourced top quality product direct from the beekeeper....and it should be priced as such. If they think it's too expensive, then these are not the type of customers you want shopping with you.

Latest posts

Back