The best time to do a Bailey comb change ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biddly

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I was given an established colony of bees In august last year as the beekeeper could only accommodate 3 hives in his garden. They came all on standard National brood box frames and as i have Langstroth hives i converted the frames. The colony has done well and overwintered on a brood and a half and is now very active.

I have not inspected them yet but i can just see through the entrance that they have drawn natural brace comb from the bottom of the National frames to nearly the bottom of the OMF. I would now like to do a Bailey comb change and get the colony on Langstroth frames. My question is, when is the best time to do this ? Could i do it early April when the colony is still increasing ( would i be diverting bees away from the brood or foraging and depending on the weather ) or should i wait until say mid to late May when numbers have significantly increased, the weather should be warmer etc. and more bees ( fingers crossed they have not swarmed and numbers lessened !) to draw out the new combs quicker and without diverting them away from other tasks shall we say.

In advance, many thanks for your help and advice.

You need to do it 'crest of a wave' type of scenario: warmer temperatures, lots of bees, and a good amount of income. A lot of people would feed to provide the necessary income. And, of course, you need to do the change before your bees might want to decide to swarm.

Thank you so much for the links and for the advice - much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back