Temporary closing hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have our two year old grandson visiting us on regular occasions and wish to close my two hives on these days, (they are situated at the bottom of the garden) I would block the hive entrances the night before he arrives and open them as soon as he departs, a period of approximately 18 hours, have any of you grandparent's out there had any experience of the effect this might have on the bee's?
Thanks in anticipation.
:thanks:

I have our two year old grandson visiting us on regular occasions and wish to close my two hives on these days, (they are situated at the bottom of the garden) I would block the hive entrances the night before he arrives and open them as soon as he departs, a period of approximately 18 hours, have any of you grandparent's out there had any experience of the effect this might have on the bee's?
Thanks in anticipation.
:thanks:

While I can understand the reason, I think you'll find it easier/better to train your grandson to keep away from the hives (gently...without creating paranoia). You might consider fencing the area if your garden is big enough. I would never leave a small child unattended.

I agree sounds like cart before horse or.... this phone call.

Her..."My grand kids visit and there are bees covering my hedge what can I do to stop them."

Me.. (resisting the temptation to tell them to take the wrong bus) take the hedge out.

Her.... "Click"

PH

I agree sounds like cart before horse or.... this phone call.

Her..."My grand kids visit and there are bees covering my hedge what can I do to stop them."

Me.. (resisting the temptation to tell them to take the wrong bus) take the hedge out.

Her.... "Click"

PH
:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

A few points come to mind.

- be careful of sugary snacks/drinks. Serve in the house rather than in the garden and wash sticky fingers/face before he goes out to play - but that's just good grandparenting anyway.

- very young kids are quite gentle with bees because they don't know to fear them, and being gentle and calm is the best way to not provoke a foraging bee into stinging. I'd just cordon off the area immediately next to the hive - another strategy would be to put a small vertical screen a yard or two in front of the entrance. Those measures should make sure that the guard bees don't see your toddler too close and take exception - but again, a well placed hive in a garden should already be positioned or shielded to protect human occupants of the garden.

What I'm really trying to say is I wouldn't shut the hives in myself, but you know your bees, if they're shielded from view/flight path and/or calm enough that you can usually do other gardening activities without bother then your grandson shouldn't have a problem either.

A few points come to mind.

- be careful of sugary snacks/drinks. Serve in the house rather than in the garden and wash sticky fingers/face before he goes out to play - but that's just good grandparenting anyway.

It may sound as though we are being unsympathetic/unhelpful, but, that isn't the case.
I used to have a hive in my back garden but quickly realised that it was too small for bees, even with a 6 foot fence around. I can't think why my neighbours objected to small brown stains on their washing ;-)
In truth, you are probably better off looking for an out-apiary anyway.

Back