Tempering excitement, aka Beefeever...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Original hive, which I had left with a full super of honey (mainly ivy I think!): very active - but with virtually the entire super of honey still sealed. I thought I saw evidence of slight overcrowding, so put on a super of new foundation for them to draw, and a dose of syrup to keep them going.

If they still have surplus stores, did you need to feed them too?

Just thought that they might be having trouble coping with the ivy honey - so I wanted to be sure they had something digestible. Should I not have done so?

Yes you should feed lights syrup as a, it gives them an in house water supply and b, creates a bit of excitement which will help morale.

PH

Thanks for the reassurance. I don't know about their morale, but it certainly does something for mine!

A question for you: if a bee comes out, walks around a bit, then goes back in without doing anything at all, is that:

a) it thinking it's too cold after all;
b) a sort of minimalist orientation 'flight' where it's practicing going in and out?

FG
:)
Dunno the answer, but I've seen that happen as well

Just thought that they might be having trouble coping with the ivy honey - so I wanted to be sure they had something digestible. Should I not have done so?

Yes you should feed lights syrup as a, it gives them an in house water supply and b, creates a bit of excitement which will help morale.

PH

IC - the reason I asked the question is because I have a hive in a similar state - ie still has a super full of capped honey. I've fed the others, but decided to leave this one to feed on it's stores. It's balsam, not ivy though so probably still edible (the last jar in our kitchen cupboard is just starting to crystalise, but it's very edible:drool5:).

With respect Repwoc the issue is not how much stores they have, its creating two conditions for the colony to their benefit.

As posted above, giving them water and a sense of income and thus boosting morale.

The water will assist them in dealing with the stores and later in the season I will no doubt discuss bruising stores and manipulating the brood nest.

Rather than disturb the majority of my bees today moving fondant and pulling out a frame I filled the outside feeder and they will find that. Being able to pop out and get a fill in shelter can and does work very well.

However I am the first to say that the outside feeder is not, and cannot be, as effective as the frame feeder.

PH

When I put the first lot of syrup on the nucs just over a week ago (8 days) it WAS about stores and I debated whether I should give them more fondant or risk heavy syrup.

Guess I'll need to read up on bee psychology - anyone recommend a good book?:)

I would have given fondant. As then it was cold.

Now it is warmer the light syrup helps them dissolve stores.

PH

OK now I'm getting confused - don't they need to dissolve stores when it's cold? And don't they need to dissolve fondant when it's cold? How much do they need to dilute stores by when it warms up a few degrees?

In the cluster they get rid of some of the excess water by dissolving stores and candy and fondant and also by feeding brood.

Now it is warmer and they will want to collect water to assist in opening up the brood nest, (eat stores no longer needed) and so to assist in this light syrup is supplied.

PH

OK now I'm getting confused - don't they need to dissolve stores when it's cold? And don't they need to dissolve fondant when it's cold? How much do they need to dilute stores by when it warms up a few degrees?

PH, thanks agian for the advice on the other thread...and it is also nice to know, that therer are other Beeks as confused as me about crystalised honey ...they use to say 2nd year beeks are worse than others as they "know it All". well 4th year beek here , and i now know i dont know
nowt about bees,still learning

Here to try to help and in spring your hive tool is your best friend.

PH

Exstending this debate regarding stores a little further, when i had my quick peek, i noticed they still had most of there stores, and there was alot of bee in the brood box. This coupled with the fact that they seem to be hauling in pollen by the bucket load, makes me think they may not have much room? What do people think?

Admittedly we only pulled three frames, one of capped stores, one which was largely empty but had a small amount of capped stores and one with brood. Looking over the top of the frames a lot appear to be stores?

If you are thinking give them another box please think again.

Right now they need to be left alone as much as you can. They have more space than you think as you are seeing the honey arch at the top bars, and there may or may not be honey below that.

Give them time as right now they are busy moving what they want moved and eating up where it is needed to give the queen space to lay.

Remember too this is the cross over point and many of the bees you see are about to die.

PH

If you are thinking give them another box please think again.

Not really thinking anything at all? Just wanted to put my mind at ease a little and your comment has done that. Thinking logically through the situation it makes perfect sense that they would have there own way of coping with this situation. I just like to validate my logic with the experience of others.

Cheers

Ah but bees ain't logical...LOL

They have their own agenda and all we bee servants can do is but to minister to their needs.

And that really sums up beekeeping in one sentence.

PH

Latest posts

Back