Teak Oil ?? Not convinced.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonych224

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi been reading plenty on this but remain unconvinced whether its ok to do or not.

I want to keep my hives as wood and just treat so they retain their colour a little longer.

I bought some Teak Oil, a major DIY chains own brand... Now all the Teak Oil they have states they are high in VOC's is this a problem for the bees??
My intention is to paint now with it and let it air in the garden for a couple of months before introducing a Nuc to it In the spring.

Welcome your thoughts

Hi been reading plenty on this but remain unconvinced whether its ok to do or not.

I want to keep my hives as wood and just treat so they retain their colour a little longer.

I bought some Teak Oil, a major DIY chains own brand... Now all the Teak Oil they have states they are high in VOC's is this a problem for the bees??
My intention is to paint now with it and let it air in the garden for a couple of months before introducing a Nuc to it In the spring.

Welcome your thoughts

The VOC's in the stuff are just the solvents to carry the actual oil into the wood - they will evaporate fairly quickly leaving the timber impregnated with the teak oil ... if you are leaving the hives exposed to the weather for a couple of months any VOC's will be long gone. Would only treat the outer surfaces of the hives though (stating the obvious ~ sorry !). To make the treatment last you would just need to rub a teak oil soaked cloth over the surface once a year .... probably OK for your supers when they are in storage but not sure that it would be a good idea on brood box, once populated, though.

If you want to oil it there are oils made 'food grade'. I believe Danish Oil is used for kitchen worktops - less likely to be high VOC but certainly shouldn't be toxic? IK*A do an oil for worktops and cutting boards - completely clear and looks like baby oil. Don't know whether anyone else has tried these?

Ray

I use boiled linseed, although it's important to read the label to make sure they've not added anything to it. Boiled dries faster.

teak oil is just a Marketing term for the use on teak, it is mineral based but could have a whole list of other chemicals, if you go for the r@nseal brand it is very high in VOCs with low protection, you would be better off going for the r@nseal hard furniture oil which is low on VOCs and has a medium protection. Cuprin@l 5 year protection has no VOCs and high protection

Osmo UV Protection Oil 410, two coats last for 2-3 years then 1 coat will last for the next couple of years. No biocides and also allows the wood to breathe and rain beads off of the hive. Little expensive but a little goes a long way

Latest posts

Back