Tasks you wish you had walked away from.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops, sorry if I went off topic by asking about another bee removal method that could be a task someone may have attempted and wished they had walked away from... Oh wait! :confused:
No problem
Maybe I can see why some might want to charge a small fee to collect a swarm hanging from a tree but around here it there's a bloomin waiting list to get your name on if you want to collect swarms, also it depends on whether the more established keepers of club committee want first refusal, found out a swarm was collected just down the road from me by our club swarm coordinator even though I was on the waiting list?

Anyhoo, back to the topic of the thread... Here's one, trying to pull a sheep out of a ditch, got covered in mud and head butted in the face for my trouble.

For me a townie with a small bit of farming knowledge, helping my farming relatives in Tavistock chase after sheep with my car, farmer in the car with me. I locked up the car after getting out before helping to move the sheep back in the direction of the farm. Never heard the end of it made my relatives laugh for a few years.

For me a townie with a small bit of farming knowledge, helping my farming relatives in Tavistock chase after sheep with my car, farmer in the car with me. I locked up the car after getting out before helping to move the sheep back in the direction of the farm. Never heard the end of it made my relatives laugh for a few years.

Reminded me of another thankless task I should have walked away from.....near Tavistock market...
Called out by police as "swarm" had moved into market... bees everywhere, but not clustering!

Eventually a very experienced beekeeper I knew who lived in Tavistock ... well into his nineties... suggested we get a queen from one of his colonies and put her in a box and see if she could " call them bees in".

It did.... seems bees has got out from a demonstration display that had gone a bit wrong and the queen had gone home with her owner!

Missed my little boys birthday party... and Bill took the bees!!!

Yeghes da

I think it's funny that some folk charge to collect swarms, if they then told the people that given a couple of months they can then sell the colony for £100 or more or if kept longer it may be more valuable still, I doubt they'd be happy to pay.
Obviously I don't refer to cut outs as that's a serious task to undertake. Has anyone tried trap outs? Seem very popular in USA.

I charge . Period. One guy refused to pay after I told him what I would do having seen the site and planned out my actions.when I arrived on site .

I thanked him for wasting my time - very politely and told him to do the job himself. And drove away/

Swarms from unknown provenance are not risk free - disease- and of course, you need to house them on frames in a hive..If they think they can do that, good luck to them..

Latest posts

Back