Taking the plunge

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CotswoldFettler

New Bee
Reaction score
Hi All,
Have been thinking about getting started with bees for some years and fortunately managed to acquire 4 empty Langthorpe hives recently. We have an acre of garden and are surrounded by fields and woodland on the edge of the Badminton estate so should have some happy bees when they arrive.
I'm really keen to get going but getting the feeling I may have missed the boat for this year and need to think about next spring. Does anyone know where I can get some bees from to get going this year as all breeders seem to be only taking orders for 2024?
Many thanks and will continue my research in the meantime.
Martin

Hi All,
Have been thinking about getting started with bees for some years and fortunately managed to acquire 4 empty Langthorpe hives recently. We have an acre of garden and are surrounded by fields and woodland on the edge of the Badminton estate so should have some happy bees when they arrive.
I'm really keen to get going but getting the feeling I may have missed the boat for this year and need to think about next spring. Does anyone know where I can get some bees from to get going this year as all breeders seem to be only taking orders for 2024?
Martin
Martin, get one or all of your hives set up as bait hives. There's plenty of beekeeping fun yet to come this season.

Have you had hands on experience with anyone? It is quite an experience to handle bees that is not for everyone. Before you spend any money! (More money):sneaky::sneaky::welcome:

Hi Beebe - many thanks for the tip - that's a great plan. Will let you know if I have success.

You will be successful if you follow the instructions in the many discussions that have taken place on this forum. Even if you do nothing other than leave a hive open you have a pretty good chance of acquiring bees. If you have the equipment already and then can get bees for free, even if the hobby turns out not to be your thing, you haven't lost much. :)

I've already got more bees than I can comfortably handle, but an additional, little swarm dropped into a box from somewhere last Friday....bees are everywhere. :)

With the number of recently reported swarms there will likely be beekeepers with more colonies than they want (like me!). I'd ask at your local association as well as putting a "wanted" post on here (there's a "for sale & wanted" section).
Shame I'm not closer!

Last edited:
Few of us hobby keepers, even those with too many bees, can resist free ones 😃
Thats so true.
I've left them alone for a few days and a brief check today showed the usual prodigious comb-building, lots of stores already and only about a third of a deep box occupied, no eggs....a queen out above the town today I expect.
Fortunately, my established hives have been allowed to produce an impressive amount of manpower, so I doubt she will be lacking in attention.

Bait hives yes. Best thing you can then do is to get reading and join your local beekeeping association.
If you have never handled bees before it can be daunting and there is a lot to learn beforehand. It is so rewarding though. Have fun

Hi All,
Martin
Black Mountain Honey now have more nucs, although they are on National frames, it is an easy fix for langstroth.

Latest posts

Back