Taking a small colony into winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willardx

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all. I got given a small cast swarm in June. It has built up to 4 good frames now. They seem reluctant to draw any more foundation out. I want to do all I can to get them through the winter. What is the best approach. I have a super of 50/50 capped /uncapped honey from another hive. Could I put some of those frames in the brood box or above in a super? Or should I just pump them full of syrup? Any approaches or advice gladly received. Thanks.

Are they in a nuc or brood box? Edit: you did say brood box.
Definitely don't put super frames in the brood box unless you want combs drawn out underneath them!
I wouldn't leave a super on over winter (unless removing the QX).
I would feed syrup, if you can't obtain stores on brood comb from another hive in your apiary.

Last edited:
They are in a poly brood box. I don't really care if they pull out super comb if it helps them out. I have brood sized stores in another hive but not sure if there is enough time in season for the other colony to draw out comb and fill with stores?? Saying that they have at least 15 lb of honey in the Super?

If you have bigger hive, you can give 2 brood frames to the small colony.

If you strenghten a small swarm already in June, the colony would be now one or two boxes.

To move stores.. Why don't you feed the hive with Sugar. You have much time and colony can grow bigger when fed slowly..

Last edited:
There you go, maybe consider dummying that space down as well?
I have a couple of spare dummy boards. Will they really make much difference in terms of heat retention? Also if I decide to add brood should I just put it next to the occupied frames?

I have a colony in a swienty brood box with a sheet of celotex either side of seven frames. The celotex fits from OMF to crown board.
Add any frames of sealed comb so they 'fit' in the nest, if they are full put them alongside another similar comb. Try to keep that elliptical shape.

I'm feeding a couple of small colonies with syrup. They're drawing out and the queen is laying well, so they're building up. They're in poly nucs, and I'm confident that they'll build up sufficiently to overwinter.

unless someone can point you to the actual research, i would just go with anything that is anything that is between squidgy and liquid so long as its got lots of sugar in it.

Should syrup be 1:1 or 2:1 this time of year?

If you think about the consistency of honey and why the bees work hard to evaporate the water content to make it so, the answer becomes clear. Happy beekeeping

Dummy them up tight with insulated dummies.

Forget syrup and give them a good chunk of fondant. Less work for them.

I put a contraption over a mini nuc, and got them to build up and brood in four super frames. They over wintered like that with fondant above so very similar to what you have.

They survived a Midlands winter and went on to become a full colony the following Spring.

PH

Latest posts

Back