Syrup strength

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyhook

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I'm currently giving my girls a pint a week of 1:1. They're wolfing it down; on the other hand they have about 2 frames plus arches of stores, so I don't want to stuff them to the gunwales. Heard mentions of how much water they're using- is there any reason I shouldn't be giving them 2 pints a week of half-strength syrup?

there is no reason why you shouldn't but why should you!!! Don't see what you are trying to achieve. If they have stores and somewhere to get water you are going to end up with sugar in your honey!!!!

there is no reason why you shouldn't but why should you!!! Don't see what you are trying to achieve. If they have stores and somewhere to get water you are going to end up with sugar in your honey!!!!

Long way from supering yet, and an awful lot more food to be converted into bees. The less they have to fly for, the fewer bees will wear themselves out or risk flying on cold days. Collecting water on cold days is the coldest job a bee can do- cold on the outside, cold on the inside. Real risk of them conking out on the way back.

Keep it at one to one.

Keep it at a pint a week. That's enough as you are NOT feeding as such certainly not in terms of what you would feed in autumn.

You are aiming to reduce the colonies work load.

PH

The idea of giving weak syrup at this time of the season is so that it can be used to dilute the foodstores in the hive - capped foodstores need diluting somewhat before use. But just as well to feed stronger syrup if a colony is low on stores.

The idea of giving weak syrup at this time of the season is so that it can be used to dilute the foodstores in the hive - capped foodstores need diluting somewhat before use. But just as well to feed stronger syrup if a colony is low on stores.

I would say they're spot on for quantity for the time of year- full frames each end, plus arches on each frame- ideally I'd keep feeding them at the same rate they're using it. My idea was to keep giving the same amount of sugar as I am at the moment, but in more water, for that reason.

Feeding Syrup

Hi Poly Hive, do you use frame feeders to feed your 1 pt of syrup/week? just wondering.Thanks Ainsie.

Sky hook, here is a post I put up recently:

Originally Posted by oliver90owner
Added more feed to a couple hives in the garden. Have decided it is more the water they need, more than the sugar.

It started as a kg of sugar in two litres, so well less than 1:1; latterly I diluted it further and they still devoured it. The last lot was diluted even more and they are still taking it.

That certainly means they are getting very little sugar as stimulant but are using a lot of water, for sure.

I might just try water with a teaspoon of sugar in a litre, next time round!

Here is your reply to that post:

My father's old bee book ( late 1930s I think) talks of spring feed as weak as 1:10 being effective.

So why are you now asking on a separate thread? Do you not believe the old book?

The beekeepers of the 1930s, and before, knew very well what worked and what didn't!

Why could you not accept that as the truth? Using 1:2 is nowhere near as dilute as the strength they found to be effective.

Stores, denying the queen laying space, could be a big problem (for rapid spring build-up)

Very simple really.

RAB

diluting is taken from heaven. Bees take water from soil when they need it.

1:1 syrup makes just condensation when they dry up the syrup.

A huge openig under hive that moisture ventilates away and then you push water into the hive.

Spring is long. It must be nervous beekeeper who takes care that of hives during 2 months.
Actually bees do not need it.

I have examined fast spring build up and the affective thinds are:

- pollen patty
- warm hive
- sunny weathers , sunny calm site
- bees get pollen and nectar uotside.
- minimal ventilation/ no heat escape

what disturbs build up

- too much space - restrict to that what they can occupye
- small cluster after winter - give emerging brood from big hive
- over feeding that sugar fills brood cells - take extara food off and give to hives which need
- too much ventilation - reduce entrance
- windy place and shadow

b

Sky hook, here is a post I put up recently:

Originally Posted by oliver90owner
Added more feed to a couple hives in the garden. Have decided it is more the water they need, more than the sugar.

Here is your reply to that post:

My father's old bee book ( late 1930s I think) talks of spring feed as weak as 1:10 being effective.

So why are you now asking on a separate thread? Do you not believe the old book?
RAB

In a word, no. It's a very interesting read, but a lot of chaff in with the wheat. That's why I was after some more opinions- so far you're the only other person I've come across who's tried the weak feed.

Ask yourself: Are bees stupid enough to drink just water if they don't need it?

I don't think so. Some sugar will be more attractive, but it will all get used for preparing feed for larvae and they will use that much more of the remaining winter stores, so more laying space. Win,win situation. Might try the Dartington on a litre with just a teaspoonful of sugar tomorrow.

What exactly do the bees get when on water duty? Admit, they may get some minerals as well, but their loads will be almost pure water.

RAB

Latest posts

Back