Syrup still or am I overfeeding?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queen Brenda

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am halfway through a Bailey change to convert to a 14x12 with foundation. We've been feeding 1:1 syrup and they are gobbling it down. Empty again today so I'm refilling whenever they finish it. When we inspected last Thursday, the Q was laying in the new 14x12, but only a few frames drawn out and ready.

The question is, do we continue with syrup as long as they are using it and emptying it even though we are in S London so blossom, bluebells, pulmonaria and flowers galore? The colony, which is colossul with BB, 14x12 the old 1/2 box with some brood in it above the QX is hefting lightish.

I don't think I would be feeding ... if they are using it to build new comb then perhaps but you run the risk, if there is plenty of natural forage about, of them storing it and you will just find they do that in preference to natural forage. You also run the risk of them swarming prematurely as they consider that quantity of syrup a flow .. keep an eye open for queen cells, Big colony, constricted space as the hive gets stuffed with stores, May 1st approaching rapidly ...and a constant supply of food - what more could you wish for as a bee to get you in swarm mode ...

If they're still drawing out the combs, then feed - if there are no supers then it's not a tragedy if they do happen to store the syrup, but if they need it to create the wax, they should have it. Basically, it's the old idea so often relevant for bees: it's better that they look at it than look for it.

add north west to that as well
there is absolutely sod all in the fields and local turf growers have taken over a few fields that were OSR last year.
another few acres near by have been flattened for a new estate
a small orchard ( 20 - 30 trees ) near by, the house has been bought that has them or should I say had them they all gone

But this is South London - Heat Island - "so blossom, bluebells, pulmonaria and flowers galore? "

Loads of forage (possibly not the bluebells though !)

I am halfway through a Bailey change to convert to a 14x12 with foundation. We've been feeding 1:1 syrup and they are gobbling it down. ...

The question is, do we continue with syrup as long as they are using it and emptying it even though we are in S London so blossom, bluebells, pulmonaria and flowers galore...

Keep feeding and keep carefully checking what they're doing. You should stop feeding as soon as you see signs of them storing anything, because you don't want sugar syrup in your honey.

Have you removed all but frames containing brood (i.e. taken away all the frames containing only stores) from the lower box of the Bailey Comb Change?

Keep feeding and keep carefully checking what they're doing. You should stop feeding as soon as you see signs of them storing anything, because you don't want sugar syrup in your honey.

Have you removed all but frames containing brood (i.e. taken away all the frames containing only stores) from the lower box of the Bailey Comb Change?

yes feed but very carefully, look at the horsechestnut trees, spikes of flowers almost out in London where the OP lives, Qu Br does not live in the frozen north or wet west

Attachments

• IMG_2023.JPG
    IMG_2023.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
yes feed but very carefully, look at the horsechestnut trees, spikes of flowers almost out in London where the OP lives, Qu Br does not live in the frozen north or wet west

Wow! The horse chestnuts near me are not even in leaf yet.

We have LOTS of pollen forage now.. So I am not concerned of that.

There appears to be little or no nectar being brought in - hawthorn is just greening, our damson tree is in flower but the crabapple which is normally in blossom now is sulking.
So I am feeding one weak hive which is short of stores - and one strong hive which has some jumbo foundation to draw out. When all the trees are in flower- chestnut , sycamore, lots and lots of limes- we will have a huge nectar flow - assuming some sunshine - and I want to have at least two big colonies to take advantage.

I have placed a super full of foundation over my biggest hive with two frames of drawn comb - to alleviate crowding. The bees are busy cleaning off the drawn comb and when nectar starts coming in will hopefully draw the foundation.

Otherwise I sits and waits for warmer weather - rather like Brer Rabbit. Today has been 14C and it goes downhill after according to the forecast with frosts to come (two last week)..

Hive cosies are staying on...

What a twit, no I have not. I will do it today when I have a look.

Sorry, that was an answer to Beejaybee's question about whether I have removed empty frames from the old BB. Why didn't I think of that. When I inspect, I have a plan, but it all goes to pieces when I'm looking for BIAS, Q, disease, stores, avoiding people getting under my suit......it's all too much for me.

Write it down, keep it with your hive records. Check it before you close up.

I take an A4 clipboard (the type with a built in cover/front for rain) with me and write up records after each hive. Don't use iphone cos of propolis..even tho it's in a protective case.
WTG.

Latest posts

Back