Syrup being stored Help!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the time your nuc has not expanded in numbers of bees, it will be too late - the wasps will be around to steal all that stored food because the nuc will have loads of stores and few bees to defend itself.RAB

Me too, I think feed feed feed is the way to increase the odds of a nuc surviving the winter. It's not just comb they need, it's lots of bees for winter, and feeding reduces the amount of foraging needed and thus they switch to pollen, and hence more bees are produced. I'm amazed each year by the numbers of beginners that get told not to feed nucleus and their dissapointment when they don't survive the winter due to unviable numbers is tangible.

Adam

I don't think we agree on much. I am in the F=inman and others camp on this. It might even appear that you are misquoting me?

I was concerned that I did not have enough frames / drawn foundaation to give the queen space

Just keep feeding them. They will fill up all the available space. The bees can then concentrate on building even more comb to accommodate the ever increasing store of un-needed sugar honey........

Please forgive me for beeing thick, but are you saying NOT to feed them?

Good grief.

They DO look like grains of rice and they ARE much easier to see against dark comb then freshly drawn.

In my vast (1 week) experience I find that new comb is light in colour but also translucent, so it is easier to see down into the bottom of a cell and see an egg.

Older darker comb is much more opaque and, well, dark and you have to get the light just right to see down in to the bottom of the cell. If you can get sufficient illumination then yes, the white eggs do stand out well against the dark comb.

Back