Swarms

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HEver

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 WBC
Hi Everyone,

I am just wandering when everyone gets swarms and how this year has been for swarms?

I am really wanting to get a swarm this year but not sure if I will. Just a few questions (FYI, I live in the East of England):
When is the peak season for swarming (online says loads of different things)?
When does swarming season start and end?
How many swarms do you roughly get a year?

Thanks

There is no definitive answer to your question really. Obviously bees swarm as part of the natural process, primarily to create new colonies and promulgate the species. Swarming season is generally recognised as being from late April until End June after which time to establish an over-wintering colony is running out. However, I have collected swarms as early as Easter in early April and also in August, so as I say no strict rule can be applied. I have myself been called to 4 swarms this year here in Kent and that I would say is an average year for me. Swarms sadly do not just arrive on your doorstep even if you put out swarm traps and other lures so please do not expect it to happen as if by right. My suggestion is that you join your local Beekeepers Association (if not already done) where you can put your name on a list for a collected swarm which other members may have obtained but are happy to let other club members have. You also need to do some reading on housing a swarm, disease management and feeding. Finally don’t be surprised that once collected there is a secondary or cast swarm, which is where the reading and advice from other Beeks comes into play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was starting over to keep bees ... the one thing you definitely do not want is a swarm of bees..... unless you can be absolutely certain from whence they came!

Too many clowns out there collecting swarms already.

Start with a couple of nucs from a reputable UK bee breeder.. who does not import bees!

Chons da

:iagree:
Swarms can be great fun and who doesn’t like free bees?
But you know what you’re getting from a reputable supplier.
That’s the best start. Then play with swarms.

David Heaf has an interesting graph of swarm frequency (www.dheaf.plus.com/beekeeping_photos/swarm_frequency.jpg ) for where he live in Wales.

A swarm arrived in my bait box on the the 7th of July last year (previously a swarm flew over the garden early May). These swarmed 2 weeks ago and again last weekend.

You might still be lucky this year.

Hi Everyone,

I am just wandering when everyone gets swarms and how this year has been for swarms?

I am really wanting to get a swarm this year but not sure if I will. Just a few questions (FYI, I live in the East of England):
When is the peak season for swarming (online says loads of different things)?
When does swarming season start and end?
How many swarms do you roughly get a year?

Thanks

'Normally' my bees have finished swarming by July , but there is always the odd exception and I had a prime swarm last weekend from one of my best Buckfast , now all safely gathered in and hived.
I wouldn't have a worry about starting with a swarm, most swarms will be from the same people offering to sell you a nuc.
A swarm will also give a good opportunity to see what bees are being kept close to you and if you want to continue keeping the same as everyone else, many are good, okay or simply dreadful. Free bees also gives you the opportunity to hone your skills and saves handing over money until you have really decided beekeeping is for you.
S

My wife keeps showing me posts on FB about swarms, the past fortnight seems to have been quite busy.
It looks like there is either a desperate or very greedy beekeeper offering his services for every one of them.
Correction, he didn't seem so interested in the swarm in a cavity wall. There were three swarms reported in Pontypridd on the same day, different locations.

I've only had 4 calls all year.
I've picked up another 8 in bait hives tho.

I've only had 4 calls all year.
I've picked up another 8 in bait hives tho.
The Spring season has just started here in Australia, and I would very much like to establish several more hives. Collecting bees which have swarmed would be a desirable approach for me, but I would like to be pro-active and invite bees into swarm traps. I have used keywords “traps”, and “swarms” to search the pages of this forum, but have not found much which is specific to my enquiry.

I have read Thomas Seeley’s book, “Honeybee Democracy”, about the size and type of space which bees seem to search for. What I am asking and hoping for is practical information from people who have successfully caught bees in swarm traps. I do not have old boxes which have the scent from previous colonies, but have built new boxes. I know about the use of pure lemon grass oil, and understand that old brood comb can help to attract bees. Does it have to be brood comb? or can it be any comb previously made by bees? How effective might it be to rub beeswax, or propolis, on the inside of the trap box?

There is another question, concerning the location where a trap might be placed. I live in a suburban location, where I know that some people have hives within 500 metres of my home. I have the impression that they are not “expert beekeepers”, and that they expect their bees to swarm. What I would like to do is provide swarm traps in locations which scout bees might find attractive. Should I locate a couple boxes at my home? or should I locate a box at the home of a friend who lives near to an existing hive?

The Spring season has just started here in Australia, and I would very much like to establish several more hives. Collecting bees which have swarmed would be a desirable approach for me, but I would like to be pro-active and invite bees into swarm traps. I have used keywords “traps”, and “swarms” to search the pages of this forum, but have not found much which is specific to my enquiry.

I have read Thomas Seeley’s book, “Honeybee Democracy”, about the size and type of space which bees seem to search for. What I am asking and hoping for is practical information from people who have successfully caught bees in swarm traps. I do not have old boxes which have the scent from previous colonies, but have built new boxes. I know about the use of pure lemon grass oil, and understand that old brood comb can help to attract bees. Does it have to be brood comb? or can it be any comb previously made by bees? How effective might it be to rub beeswax, or propolis, on the inside of the trap box?

There is another question, concerning the location where a trap might be placed. I live in a suburban location, where I know that some people have hives within 500 metres of my home. I have the impression that they are not “expert beekeepers”, and that they expect their bees to swarm. What I would like to do is provide swarm traps in locations which scout bees might find attractive. Should I locate a couple boxes at my home? or should I locate a box at the home of a friend who lives near to an existing hive?
The closer the better.
Most of my primary swarms first port of call has been within 30 metres of any given hive and landed in small fruit trees or even on a concrete walls. IMG_20200516_195134.jpgIMG_20200516_195158.jpg
Second picture two bait hives exactly 30 metres from my garden apiary.
Swarm top of picture on the wall 5ft high. June 16th 2020
To the left of the bait hives there is two 14x12 hives 5 metres away.
IMG_20190615_190831.jpg
Swarm just over 30 metres from the hive it came from. Which is now in one of the 14x12 hives. IMG_20190601_125346.jpg
Second swarm in the fruit tree next to the privet again around 30 metres from the hive it came out from. June 23rd 2019.
I've more pictures from 2018 but on a normal camera, two swarms one at the end of May and one on the 6 of July 2018.
Last year I had 4 in total, got called out to 6.
This year only 2 and got called to 4 which I've given away to new beekeepers.
Thanks
Mark

The closer the better.
Thank you Mark for your reply, and for posting photographs. You said, "The closer the better", and there is no doubt that a swarm of bees will cluster fairly close to the hive from which they came.
I am wanting to have a better understanding of anything that we, as beekeepers, can do to get the bees to voluntarily settle in a swarm trap box. Your second photo shows a swarm cluster quite close to your bait boxes, but I am wondering whether the bees actually chose to occupy a bait box you had provided?
I would be very pleased to receive a call, to collect a cluster of bees, but it seems to me that it would be ever so much better, or "convenient" if the bees responded to our invitation to occupy the swarm trap / bait box.

We call them Bait Hives so you could expand your search using that
Here's what works for me
I get swarms in these bait hives every year.
If I replaced them I'm sure I would get more but I generally stick to just the two.
I live in a rural setting but there are quite a few apiaries within a radius mile of me.
Poly 8 frame 14x12 nuc box with a wooden solid floor and a 2.5cm entrance
Inside painted with propolis
One foundation free frame with a starter strip wired with fishing line pushed against the side wall, then an old brood frame, then another foundation free frame. The rest of the box empty.
As soon as a swarm is in I put another five frames of foundation in
No lemon grass, though I have in the past dotted a bit about the top frames. It's said that queens don't like lemon grass so I never put any at the entrance
One box sits on the potting shed roof about ten feet high. Swarms here are usually early and always seem to come from the same direction.
The other box is about 100 metres from my hives and sits at a similar height on a field shelter roof. The swarms I catch here are usually a little later than the garden box. They are never from my bees.
I let the bees live there till all the frames are drawn then they get moved on to big hives.
I use the same boxes every year and don't clean them

While bees will occupy any space, and there are reports here of bees arriving at stacks of empty boxes and supers in an apiary, they tend to bivouac close to where they emerge but tend to fly off further afield. This probably explains why I never catch mine but do catch others

Last edited:
This year my swarm count is 19, 8 from call outs or cut outs and the rest from bait hives. I have bait hives at each or my apiaries as an early warning sign just in case my bees are sending out scouts but like Dani I haven't caught one of my own swarms in these boxes. (I clip my queens)
When I arrive at my apiary I have a look at the bait hive and if there is scout activity I pay extra attention to any likely hives!
I tend to transfer my swarms to my isolation apiary within a few days and return the box to its previous position, 2 years ago I caught 3 swarms in the same box within a 2 week period and they were all prime swarms with laying queens.
I set my bait hives up similar to Dani's with old brood and frames with starter strips and wire but do add a dab of lemon grass. I have experimented with sizes and have attracted swarms into boxes from 20 litres to 50 but most of mine are now about 35 litres and the local bees seem to like them.
This year I picked up 3 swarms in a period of about 6 weeks which were all from a commercial beek about 150m from the bait hive. Unexpectedly none of the queens were marked and none were virgins.
I would say just try your luck and if you are around to see them "come in" it's an amazing spectacle.

The Spring season has just started here in Australia, and I would very much like to establish several more hives. Collecting bees which have swarmed would be a desirable approach for me, but I would like to be pro-active and invite bees into swarm traps.
Increasing your stock is safer if you simply split from the hives you have. The bees have their own reference library on the subject. :sorry:

I would say just try your luck and if you are around to see them "come in" it's an amazing spectacle.
It’s something I never tire of. Watching the number of scouts increasing daily is exciting, for me at least. Then all of a sudden the whole lot disappear. The first time it happened I thought they had just gone elsewhere then five minutes later the swarm appeared. Wonderful. Consensus reached they flew back to get the rest of the swarm.

Same here, here is a swarm that I watched leave a hive and go into a bait hive then obscond and took of and went into another bait hive down at the parks apiary 1/2 a mile away.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back