Swarms

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric knockalt

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
8-10
Caught 2 swarms today at home ,boxed them and all seems well ,when swarms were hanging ,found young queen caught her ,she was to the side of the ball of bees ,was going to put her in nuc but she fllew from my hand ,went bacck to catch swarm and the queen was there again to the side of ballof bees.

Would this be because bees had already chose other queen assuming more than one young queen in swarm?
Have boxed both together to side of hive they swarmed from and will re-unite when they have settled ,young queen is laying .comments please .

Eric.

Young queen is laying......which young queen, the one in the original hive, the one that flew away, or ..... Confused! Sorry!

Sorry enrico meant when young queen is laying ,Found a small handful of bees in clump late last night ,they had a queen with them have put in an Apidea ,all i had but would worry not enough bees with her ,fed this morning some bee candy taking to it ,how will i get some extra bees in there ?Bees from other hives ,young bees best i imagine say half a pints worth sound okay ?

...how will i get some extra bees in there ?Bees from other hives ,young bees best i imagine...

Take 1 or 2 frames upon which brood is emerging, shake lightly into their hive to remove the older bees, then shake more vigorously into a cardboard box to dislodge the younger bees. When you have enough (a few might migrate home), open up the apidea, spray everyone very lightly with a very weak, lukewarm sugar solution, tip in the bees and close up.

Latest posts

Back