Swarmed Again..Help and advice please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bump3r67

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Posted on here a couple of weeks ago for advice on a captured swarm. Thanks for the replies but guess what? Its happened again.

I was leaving the new queen in the original hive to emerge and settle in so hadn't checked them for a couple of weeks. I was due to inspect tomorrow but have popped up today to see another swarm sitting merrily up a tree.

I presume they are again from the original hive but could it be the swarmed queen deciding to move on again. Both hives have bee foraging.

Anyone offer any advice as to why they should have done it again. The original hive was only small and I was not expecting those to swarm at all this year. Now its happened twice.

Also what advice do you offer about the swarm up the tree. Can't afford another hive after laying out two weeks ago for the hive to home the swarmed lot in. I have asked a few people but no one wants any. Think everyone is maxed out this year.

Help

When you lost the first swarm, how many queen cells did you leave in the original hive? If you did not whittle them down to just one or two queen cells then it is probably a cast swarm led by a virgin queen hatched from one of the cells.

Ben P

I presume they are again from the original hive

Hi, Don't presume they are from you hive, without knowing what size and whether they are a caste or prime it's hard to know what to do with the tree swarm. Have you a super with some frames, if so you can hive the swarm into that with a make shift roof and floor, once the bees have settled you can find the queen, choose the best and unit into your hive using paper and put them on brood and half until next year and reduce the brood back to one brood box.
It has been a problem this year with swarms, I've had a couple come to my apiary and also to some spare hives I've had by the side of the house. Good luck.
regards
Steven

When you lost the first swarm, how many queen cells did you leave in the original hive? If you did not whittle them down to just one or two queen cells then it is probably a cast swarm led by a virgin queen hatched from one of the cells.

Ben P

Hi Ben, yes I took down the Queen cells and left one in place.

Steven, I know this may sound stupid question but how do I know which one is the better queen.

thanks

Paul

Hi Ben, yes I took down the Queen cells and left one in place.

Did you go back in 5/6 days later to check for any more QCs
If you leave one intact just after they swarm the bees can make more on larvae up to three days old.
The last time one of mine went there were 10 QCs. I left only one open one and five days later there were eight more.

Unfortunatly you don't know which queen is best, if you unite with one of your colonies and the hive queen is good, then keep her, the new queen is unknown. If your hive queen has problems (ie swarmy, testy, follower bees) it could be a chance to replace her with a better new queen (or the new queen could be worse!), if the hive queen is old, you may be better off with the new queen.
Also the swarm queen may be a caste which would delay laying overwintering bees.
Whatever you do with the queens you will have lots more bees to forage for you so should get a bigger harvest of honey.
That's the wonderful thing about beekeeping, it keeps you on your toes! (the down side is the worry).
regards
Steven

Latest posts

Back