Swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEG

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15+-some
Picked up my first swarm of the year. Biggest one I have had to date. Must be 5-6lb of bees in it. It was half way up a tree (the tree was about 2 feet high it was an acer) lol. I love it when they are like this.

Congrats Veg

Hope you get many more.. !
:party:

I don't think your litter tray will hold them all...

good start to the season! may they all be so huge and easy to get

Flippin Nora!
hope that's not what my overgrown colony is thinking of doing....
Hope you had a bathtub ready to put them in!!

That's about as big as a swarm gets. Bet you haven't got a couple of brood boxes spare. That is easily too big for a single National.

Put the rest of the frames in today and they have all ready filled the drawn frame with nectar

Well they have swarmed and gone last seen heading towards the town center. Win some lose some. :reddevil:

Bad look Craig and it looked so good and promising.

Just a suggestion a frame of brood next time can help them to decide to stay

Yeah just didnt have time as my apiary is not at home. Gutted though to watch them disappear.

my GF use to block them in for three days after their first night and feed during that time with 50% syrup, but you had to be quick taking the duck tape off :biggrinjester:

Hiving a swarm and then have them decide to move elsewhere is even more gutting than watching a swarm emerge and settle 50ft up a tree then ignore a beautiful bait hive and leggit:mad:

Better luck next time Veg

Yes should have put them into a brood box instead of a nuc but didnt know how big a swarm it was till I got there. I think the size combined with the heat today made them leave.

Latest posts

Back