swarm warning buzz

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan3008

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi guys,
I've been told that shortly before swarming, the bees give a distinctive buzzing sound, so reliably that there are even apps that can listen to it and provide warning.

Is this true? And what is this buzz like?

I'm building a hive monitoring system into my hive, and if this I true, id love to include a microphone into it, to give an extra warning. I know proper hive management is better than technology, this project is purely for interest.
Thanks
Dan

If they're buzzing because they're about to leave, you're too late!

Ah 2 weeks is a bit more useful :)

Jwf - yeh, its the 2 week(ish) warning I was on about :)

Thanks for that alldigging :) looks like exactly what I was looking for
Google just couldn't seem to find anything :(

Bees Buzz for a lot of reasons, air conditioning the hive any drying nectar out to name two, why would a buzz let you think they are going to swarm .

Having done some more reading, knowing what I'm looking for is called an apidictor, its apparently a warble (alternating tones) rather than a buzz, and a hiss when the hive is tapped. With this knowledge and a little bit of work, I reckon I can make a device to listen for this and let me know :) Of course, as previously stated, nothing beets good hive management

Looks intresting :) thanks

Latest posts

Back