Swarm to bait hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Repwoc

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
>6
I had a call on Tuesday to a swarm in a pear tree. It was too high for me to reach - would have needed a scaffold tower or an exceptionally long swarm capture device. I set up two bait hives and left them.

Today I had a text message saying that one of the bait hives was in use, so I drove over. Indeed there were a few 10s of bees buzzing around the entrance, but the cluster was still hanging in the pear tree. I was just about to open the hive to see if there were any bees inside when the man spotted that there was a lot more activity around the cluster - then as we watched it dissolved into a mass of swirling bees which descended onto the bait hive and they all marched in. Result! Fantastic to watch.

I'll pop over again later this evening to pick them up.

Great to watch isn’t it?
A few weeks ago our bait hive on the potting shed was getting quite a bit of attention and one morning a swarm arrived only to hang itself in a tree some 50 feet away where it stayed for a couple of hours. Then it did just what you described. Lovely!

Just noticed a few bees around the bait hive in my garden this afternoon, I'm quite looking forward to seeing them come in, I've not seen one arrive for a couple of years.
Last Monday I picked up 2 bait hives full of bees that had arrived over last weekend in two of my out apiaries then when I went into self isolation on Wednesday I got a call from two other out apiaries to say those baithives were now occupied!
Got to wait until next week to finish self isolation before I can assess them.

Latest posts

Back