Swarm Times?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I removed a sealed queen cell last saturday,if I had left it to hatch would the queen have been mated so late on,with the weather being so mild?

I removed a sealed queen cell last saturday,if I had left it to hatch would the queen have been mated so late on,with the weather being so mild?

Depends if she could find a drone and the weather was fit for her to fly.

Serious doubts Darren- drones practically all gone now. I have none in the 16 colonies looked at this week down here in posh :smilielol5: Sussex

Not even in posh Sussex, sorry Darren, you're done for;)

(I have posh relatives in Sussex :))

My swarm arrived the day I was due to collect my nuc..they moved into the hive where the nuc was going to be re-housed...had do do a fast bit of building.

I know that normally a swarm leaves the hive en-masse but when my swarm moved in they sort of casually drifted in and out from early in the morning,is this how they normally do it?

Have a look at the video section poly hive has a video of one arriving on there

Just watched the swarm video.. TA.

Nothing like that when mine arrived.... First thing I saw was a few bees early in the morning.. Thought they might be some bumbles at first, then I got closer and could see they were too small and thought they might be wasps. Went right up to hive and saw they were honey bees and lifted the cover off. The hive boxes were not stacked so I quickly assembled everything in the correct order to see what would happen.... No great activity, but by early afternoon I got brave enough to lift the lid and see what was going on. Box full of bees. They just slowly driffed in and out all day. Obviously more in that out.

Back