Swarm taken - varroa control now ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Swarm taken last night, happy this morning applied feed in the form of syrup, thanks G. I have read that this is an ideal time to treat with oxalic acid to cause drop down of any varroa mites on the bees before the mites enter the soon-to-be-laid brood - the only place the mites can breed. I wonder if this treatment at this time would in fact stress the colony and even persuade them to move on again. Does anyone have any experience of this or opinion?

i had a swarm abscond after OA last year,wether it was the oxalic that made them go i just dont know but im sure a few people will be along shortly to enlighten us on the subject.

OA is most effective when the colony is broodless and a freshly hived swarm is just that.

A Qx under the brood box for a few days - until there are eggs - would prevent absconding but would only work on a prime swarm (mated queen), not on a cast where the virgin needs to get out to mate.

I caught a big prime swarm Last Friday 6 July and treated Monday 9th. Bees still here today and already drawing 7 frames. Eggs and small larvae seen yesterday. Don’t think Ill ever see the queen as so many bees.

48 Varroa first 24 hours then 35 then 10 looked this morning very few.

I was told not to feed for the first 48 hours so they use up or the honey they swarmed with as it locks any disease into the wax they make, how true that is I don’t know but sounds feasible.

Good luck with your new swarm let us know how they get on.:)

Last edited:
Yes makes sense Outlander, I heard 24hours before feed but then there are a hundred opinions for each questioning beekeeping of course, makes same sense that poison in the hive would make them feel this new home is not for them of course. Norfolk? Up the road a tad then.

Not too far. I’m just north of. Norwich. It was Tonybloke at Gorleston put me on to this swarm and is doing very well. He had informed me of another the night before but they took to the air 3 mins before I arrived. Certainly great thing to be able to do and look forward to the next one but as all equipment now in use will have to pass it on hopefully to a deserving nee bee.

Even the much derided dusting with Icing Sugar is actually pretty effective when the colony is broodless.
And it doesn't upset the bees greatly.

Latest posts

Back