Swarm season has commenced- advise please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,
So 2 weeks ago I split both my hives for increase and to hopefully delay/ reduce the swarm impulse. Had to work away for 2 weeks, came back last night and checked them externally all 4 looked good. My plan today was to carry out a full inspection on all 4 to assess overall picture. An hour ago I just noticed x1 swarm on a bush about 3 feet up, easy to access, now next to this about 1 metre away is a poly nuc I set up 2 weeks ago with lemon grass, open frames etc to try and catch any stray swarms that occurred. Today I also see a few scout bees checking out the size of the nuc inside and out. I also have another 2 empty hives set up to accommodate more bees. My question is should I wait a few hours to see if this swarm is checking out the nuc accepts it and moves in?
Second query/dilemma, there is a second swarm, this one is laying on the grass , my thoughts are maybe its this ones scouts checking NUC? and what is best way to move these ones from the ground into a temporary nuc box to the transfer to a new hive? Any advise is most welcome

Splitting doesn't necessarily stop swarming!
Take the one off the bush now or risk losing it. Put the poly nuc by the ones on the grass with at least one used frame in it. A bit of gentle smoke to get them moving and they should all crawl in
E

Yep cheers for reply enrico, , that's why I said reduce/delay, as I know all controls can be in place and bees will be bees, thanks for your advise regarding plan of action, Ill away and get some swarm capture experience now, cheers.

I would like to add when you put the nuc next to the swarm on the grass have the nuc upside down with a chock of wood on one side no frames they will go inside.
I've just put a nuc besides a colony before and they don't always go in.

Yep bee keeping is interesting! I've been out for last 2 1/2 hours inspected my 4 hives that I split from 2 to 4 two weeks ago. All 4 are sitting on 5 frames in the middle and slowly working outwards. I don't have the experience but pretty surprised that they would decide to swarm when so much space still available. The swarming has been pretty dramatic, as first time for me and so many in one day. I've counted 3 resting on various bushes and apple trees and 1 on the grass. Also about an hour ago there was another mass tornado effect swarm that drifted past my house. Each swarm is around 1 1/2 x the size of a rugby ball. Might be cast swarms? or someone elses bees ? I decided to try and reclaim the ones on the bush first, they are walking into the NUC as I type.

cheers for that, I/m away to get the ones on the grass now. All 3 "swarms" not sure where they are from hive wise, placing swarm in a new hive, is it feasible to unit all 3? can I separate with newspaper or just mix them all up and let them decide the best queen, or will this just cause a huge gang fight and result in carnage?

cheers for that, I/m away to get the ones on the grass now. All 3 "swarms" not sure where they are from hive wise, placing swarm in a new hive, is it feasible to unit all 3? can I separate with newspaper or just mix them all up and let them decide the best queen, or will this just cause a huge gang fight and result in carnage?

Just chuck them all in together and let them sort themselves out :)

I didn't realise they could all be from the same hive, in which case if you had left them for a couple of hours they would probably all have gone into one large ball. Makes things easier!!!
E

yeah, might have LOL, o well, I guess this is what they call learning on the job! First time I've seen a swarm "live" then find 4 and a whirlwind tornado one that decided not to re- land in garden,last seen heading East at good pace, someone hopefully welcomes the freebie. So I can only think my queen cell checking skills need honing. Never mind plenty swarm catching practice today and now I have 5 hives in total, unless they decide to do a runner again!

yeah, might have LOL, o well, I guess this is what they call learning on the job! First time I've seen a swarm "live" then find 4 and a whirlwind tornado one that decided not to re- land in garden,last seen heading East at good pace, someone hopefully welcomes the freebie. So I can only think my queen cell checking skills need honing. Never mind plenty swarm catching practice today and now I have 5 hives in total, unless they decide to do a runner again!

Sorry Camey I am no help as I am crying with laughter from your narrative! I have plenty going on at the moment... fingers crossed.

Back