Swarm question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Coleman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
If a swarm starts drawing comb, is that a sign that a queen, whether virgin or mated, is present? Or might they stay in their new home and draw wax even without a queen?

I've picked up three nice size swarms, one of which I am pretty certain is prime from a known source. But the other two, although I know the apiary from which they came, I can't be sure if either are prime or casts, or if in fact I got the queens. But all three have stayed in their new home and are making wax.

If they intend to stay they will build comb, whether they always have queen with them I dont know. But they surely wouldn't have swarmed with out one, so she would've had to have been lost when collecting the swarm? Unless she has already been on mating flight that is.

Hi - that's my worry with the two swarms, which I didn't collect, and which seem to have been gathered in a bit chaotically and might have missed the queen(s)! Don't want to disturb them too much, so I think I'll just wait for a couple of weeks then do a quick inspection.
I don't remember seeing anything in the books about how a Queenless swarm will behave,
Regards Andy

Prime swarms will have brood within a week (probably eggs within 4 days).

The others can be tested for q+ or - with a test frame - two days, at most, for a result.

Latest posts

Back