Queens and Prime Swarms

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antipodes

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
I think it is correct to say that a swarm always has a queen...at least initially?
I also believe that the first or prime swarm contains the older mated queen and subsequent cast swarms a virgin queen or probably not infrequently, multiple virgins. I've certainly seen more than one virgin queen in a cast swarm.
Can it be the case however, that the prime swarm can have the old mated queen and also a virgin queen? I've never seen it but wondered if anyone had or if they know of it?

I also believe that the first or prime swarm contains the older mated queen and subsequent cast swarms a virgin queen
not necessarily, in the case of, say a clipped queen, they would attempt tonswarm, the queen crashes and burns so the bees would return to the hive, wait for the first virgin to emerge and swarm with her, thus a prime swarm headed by a virgin

not necessarily, in the case of, say a clipped queen, they would attempt tonswarm, the queen crashes and burns so the bees would return to the hive, wait for the first virgin to emerge and swarm with her, thus a prime swarm headed by a virgin
Have you ever come across a swarm with the old queen and a virgin(s)?

I'd say it doesn't happen. When a swarm has a mated queen in it, it is the only queen in the swarm.

Back