swarm in super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bet

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello
A swarm has arrived in our empty hive.... bit unexpected... only 5 frames in BB but super has all the frames..So the bees have taken over super , brood and stores. however in the gap in the BB ie the middle is empty , no frames in centre, they have built a beautiful comb down to the bottom.

Any ideas.. I think best just to leave. Why are there only 5 frames in BB, I just did not get around to putting them all in, hive was empty while I considered what to do.

Many thanks Bet

Bees witha queen in tow should not get into supers - that is why one uses Queen excluders twixt BB and supers. Now bees are in there (lucky you), suggest you find HM if you can, put her in a cage after marking and clipping, put any frames of stores and brood downstairs, fill rest with brood frames and maybe a dummy board, then release Q and remove super altogether until colony is stronger, then feed with syrup 1kg to 1 ltr in a rapid feeder (less messy that contact type) within empty super to help them settle. Any use?

i would put super at bottom, remove wild comb, put bb with all frames on top. in spring remove super which should be empty. bobs your uncle
e

Thanks what would you do with wid comb... there is quite a lot. Thanks Bet

Any use?

Certainly not the feeding bit! Marking and clipping is a choice which I would not be taking, particularly at this time.

Enrico is not so far off, just a bit pessimistic for the rest of the season? There again, he might be right for this year!

Latest posts

Back