Swarm in a tree

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galaxy55

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Help
Watched one of my hives swarm earlier today. They have settled about 20' to 25' up an oak tree on an allotment. My dilemma is how to get them down. They are on the outer edge of the branches that wouldn't take the weight of a ladder and are out of reach any mechanism on the end of a pole.

Any ideas gratefully received

Thanks

Mark

Help
Watched one of my hives swarm earlier today. They have settled about 20' to 25' up an oak tree on an allotment. My dilemma is how to get them down. They are on the outer edge of the branches that wouldn't take the weight of a ladder and are out of reach any mechanism on the end of a pole.

Thanks

Mark

A bait hive near the swarm and hope. If there is space for a fairly tall step ladder and a pole with a bucket or pole with old frame attached for the bees to walk on. Have a helper to hold the step ladder. If you could throw up weighted string or rope and then a sharp tug at the branches with a hive and sheet underneath.

Thanks Anduril

Was thinking of trying this

(throw up weighted string or rope and then a sharp tug at the branches with a hive and sheet underneath.)

If you could get the Hive and sheet up as high as you can, they will have a shorter distance to fall and not fly back to their original position. Quickly placing a crownboard on top after shaking to make it dark.

Help

Thanks

Mark

Ladder as close as you can get. Then cut the branch ... ('outside' the ladder ... :))

If you can attach a board to the top of the ladder, you can rest it against really quite flimsy (but bushy) branches.

Don't risk injury for a few bees.....just put a bait hive out and hope!
E

Been back and assessed again - the bees are tightly bunched and ready for the night so have left them alone for now. Set up a bait hive and left it as close as I can (in the morning they will all be in there and waiting for me to arrive :rolleyes:) plan 'B' (throw up weighted string or rope and then a sharp tug at the branches with a hive and sheet underneath.) Will have all day to sort out my mess if things go wrong.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

A frame with some open brood hoisted, after slinging over a string, rope, whatever. Hopefully lower queen to awaiting skep, or whatever, after a suitable wait.

Otherwise, a bait hives and hope. I prefer the latter, these days. Easier to prevent the swarm, so if they go, just put up with the risk of them departing for better pastures.

How did it go Galaxy55?

(How did it go Galaxy55?)

Give me chance, only been up for an hour, still considering my options :D

Still hanging there - decided to give a second bait hive a go and wait and see because as I arrived at the allotment this morning there was a second swarm waiting for me ( head height) a much more manageable height. Safely housed in a nuc although it was a tight squeeze.

An old beek here uses a 10 -15 meter fishing rod and pulls up a nuc baited with brood comb, He's collected lots of swarms in trees that way.

He also fishes...

Latest posts

Back