Swarm control

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applejack33

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone know of an article referring to swarm control using 2 frames of drone foundation placed in the centre of a brood nest. This apparently would be in the top box of a double brood box system. When the foundation is drawn and laid up it is placed directly below in the lower BB and a further 2 frames of drone foundation replacing them in the top box. After this I have no idea what happens nor how it should affect swarming, but would like to learn a bit more about it. Apparently a magazine article somewhere. Any info or pointers appreciated. Thanks

I imagine this is a good way of increasing the number of Varroa in the hive but can't see how this would control swarming.

In natural beehive amount of drone brood are about 25%.
Swarming is bees' only way to propagate.

How 2 drone frames can prevent swarming? I have never heard.

That amount of drone brood is 15-20% .

I do not believe that "method".

Last edited:
Not sure if drone culling was involved but there was a mention of getting most or all the varroa in the drone brood and very little in the worker brood, maybe reducing virus problems in the workers?
Sorry but I have only got half the story, second hand, and would like to get the whole story to see where swarm control comes about in the process.

I found the article. Guys rear so much drone brood that the colony has no resources to swarm. Colony waste its energy to drone rearing.

Never swarms, they say.

In normal hives goal is to produce workers and foragers, and those guys rear "do nothing drones". That makes no sense.

Last edited:
Maybe cull first lot of drone brood. Kill varroa early in season, save on treatments, not so many varroa in worker brood, help reduce virus etc. Other drones keep brood warm, free up workers. Then perhaps remove drone comb from hive and save for next season. Healthier colony of bees?
Have you a link to the article please?

Maybe cull first lot of drone brood. Kill varroa early in season, save on treatments, not so many varroa in worker brood, help reduce virus etc. Other drones keep brood warm, free up workers. Then perhaps remove drone comb from hive and save for next season. Healthier colony of bees?
Have you a link to the article please?

Drones don’t keep brood warm surely? The only things they do is eat and mate, or spend the time not eating or sleeping trying it on? Jacqueline Freeman reckons they sing to the capped brood though

I imagine this is a good way of increasing the number of Varroa in the hive but can't see how this would control swarming.

Isolating the drone brood for disposal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

On another note i have noticed bees producing more drones prior to swarming... by giving them drone frames to make more drones would this not make matters worse..and speed swarming up...??? .

No. A colony's instinct is to make two swarms in a summer. Why it would make them more.

A colony makes more drones before swarming, because colony has grown bigger.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back