Swarm coming to my small bee yard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksheep

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi to All: Well I finally got some bees about 15 days ago.They were 4 frame nucs and brought them home in a 10 deep.Been feeding them and all is well as far as I know. I have not inspected them as yet due to my thinking I should let them settle in the new box for a few days.Inspection is to be Saturday as the weather is to be great I hope.
I was mowing this afternoon and looked over at my bees and I saw a massive ball of bees hanhing on the stand and bottom of the hive.I thought right away that my bees were leaving!So I suited up and opened the hive and looked inside and the bees were busy and drawing out the frames.Then I thought that it was a swarm that came to me!Before I ever tried to put them in a box I noticed lots of them had pollen,etc on them and they were really gentle so I got them batches at a time and put them in the trap box I had made and will transfer them to a 10 frame box tomorrow.
I have 2 traps out but caught no bees yet so these came to me what luck!!
How often does that happen?

I was mowing this afternoon and looked over at my bees and I saw a massive ball of bees hanhing on the stand and bottom of the hive.

Sometimes swarms can head to an existing bee colony/bee yard.

But if you ever see a cluster of bees like that it is always sensible to assume that there is very probably a queen in the middle of them. And then the obvious question becomes: 'Is that the queen that was in my beehive and somehow she has got outside'? Sometimes if you do an inspection the queen can drop off a frame unnoticed, and you can close up the hive not realizing she is on the outside. But the bees find her ...

Back