Honeycomb and brood outside of my hive??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in June I had a swarm cluster on the outside of an empty hive it must have been there for some time as there was comb full of honey and also combe of brood. I swept the bees into a hive then cube the comb off the front and put it into the hive. the bees turned out to be very placid and brood developed

in June I had a swarm cluster on the outside of an empty hive it must have been there for some time as there was comb full of honey and also combe of brood. I swept the bees into a hive then cube the comb off the front and put it into the hive. the bees turned out to be very placid and brood developed
cube = cut

a shame because all the honey comb that was outside was all good healthy brood .they have seem to of left the outside to fend for it’s self
If the bees have gone in then it suggests that the box was empty and there is only one colony.

Your job starts now: take a work tray, knife, empty frames, hive tool, rubber bands or masking tape, water (sticky job), waste bags.

Set up a new floor right next to the current one; use a cut-down pallet for a floor, or something solid; anything is better than the current floor :). Set the floor level.

Move the brood box on to the new floor; leave the roof off.

Dismantle gently the current floor and the white panels with comb attached. Shake the parts abruptly over the brood box and when bee-less, set them aside, away from the hive. More than likely the queen has gone into the box, but look out for her nonetheless.

Remove the rest of the old hive stand and floor and clear well away, so the bees concentrate on the new and not the smell of the old.

Cut the combs and use the rubber band or tape method to fit them like a jigsaw into empty frames. Don't bother to be neat. Slot the frames into the centre of the brood nest. If there is no nectar flow, bees may need syrup feeding to get them to draw and repair comb.

Remove all waste comb and hive bits and bobs from the apiary to avoid attracting robber bees.

Here's one I found this summer: I left the box but took the floor away, waited a week or so for them to move up, then put the box on a board with a small hole and waited another week for them to clear the combs.

IMG_20220921_134050677_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:
I’m new to bee keeping and this forum ,my hive got robbed out or swarmed 2-3 weeks ago ,totally empty not 1 bee in the hive.I checked on the hive yesterday and the brood box is busy as can be plus honeycomb full of brood out side of the hive .there is room inside for all the bees (I think) this was midday so I’m not sure how many where out and about .any help would be most appreciated, I’m getting another hive up there this week to see if I can get them into The new hive but I Havnt got a clue what to do ???
It sounds like your hive may have swarmed, which is when a large portion of the bees in the hive leave to establish a new colony. Swarming is a natural behavior for bees and is usually triggered when the hive becomes overcrowded or the queen is no longer producing enough eggs.

If your hive has swarmed, it's likely that the new queen and most of the bees have left to establish a new colony elsewhere. You may still have a small number of bees left in the hive, but they may not be sufficient to keep the hive going.

To try to get the bees back into the hive, you could try placing a new hive next to the old one and transferring the remaining bees into the new hive. You can do this by carefully removing the frames from the old hive and placing them in the new hive, being careful not to squash any of the bees. If the bees are still actively producing brood (baby bees), you should also try to include a frame or two of brood in the new hive to give the bees a better chance of survival.

It's important to remember that there is no guarantee that the bees will return to the hive, and you may need to start a new hive from scratch using a package of bees or a nucleus hive (nuc).

If your hive has swarmed, it's likely that the new queen and most of the bees have left to establish a new colony elsewhere. You may still have a small number of bees left in the hive, but they may not be sufficient to keep the hive going.

If they have swarmed, the queen will have gone with them, they will usually leave enough bees to maintain the remaining brood and keep the colony going until the queen cell they left has emerged and hopefully the new queen mates successfully
you could try placing a new hive next to the old one and transferring the remaining bees into the new hive.
why?
If the bees are still actively producing brood
the bees don't produce brood, the queen does and if they have swarmed, she's gone with them

If they have swarmed, the queen will have gone with them, they will usually leave enough bees to maintain the remaining brood and keep the colony going until the queen cell they left has emerged and hopefully the new queen mates successfully

why?

the bees don't produce brood, the queen does and if they have swarmed, she's gone with them
I know we've gained contributors from all over the world and different climate zones however some of the later suggestions in this thread seem to fail to take account of differences in local temperatures and likely stages of brood development within hives. Maybe I'm just easily confused?

Latest posts

Back