Swarm arrival

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
30+
Waiting on the arrival of another swarm this season. Scouts have been pretty interested all day in the box at my mum's house. Its the one I have a webcam set up on so can watch behaviour and hopefully arrival. Apparently swarm just flew through garden and now interest has increased again after the lull. Really fascinating to watch.

picture.php

I agree.
It is a wonderful thing to stand unharmed in the middle of a swarm as it leaves the hive and as it musters itself to cluster nearby.

It is a wonderful thing to stand unharmed in the middle of a swarm as it leaves the hive

While it might be, I would prefer it to be an arriving swarm, rather than one leaving! A right pain if they cluster somewhere inaccessible.

RAB

I'm with Oliver
1150 and I'm just back from climbing up 12ft into a blackthorn tree to retrieve a monster swarm from one of my own hives(failed a/s)
Definately rather watch your swarm joining me than my swarm leaving to join you

I'm with Oliver
1150 and I'm just back from climbing up 12ft into a blackthorn tree to retrieve a monster swarm from one of my own hives(failed a/s)
Definately rather watch your swarm joining me than my swarm leaving to join you

Blackthorn, ouch :cuss::cuss:

How down-to-earth you both are.
My point was that for me it was an extraordinary experience to stand in a swirling mass of stinging insects and remain completely unharmed. It doesn't really matter whether they were coming or going though I could add that for drama nothing beats a swarm hiving itself but for visual effect bees pouring like treacle out of a hive entrance takes some beating..............in a beekeeping context, you understand. :)

How down-to-earth you both are.
My point was that for me it was an extraordinary experience to stand in a swirling mass of stinging insects and remain completely unharmed. It doesn't really matter whether they were coming or going though I could add that for drama nothing beats a swarm hiving itself but for visual effect bees pouring like treacle out of a hive entrance takes some beating..............in a beekeeping context, you understand. :)

I'm with you E. Last year I watched my first hive swarm at 14.59 on 26 August, a hot, sunny day. I was due to inspect that day having done so 7 days earlier. I had not suited up and stood 3 ft from the entrance as they poured out around me into a cloud over the hive. I followed them 30 yards to a neighbour's garden and retrieved them. For a new beekeeper it was a good learning experience but it was an exhilarating and unforgettable feeling.

Latest posts

Back