Swarm advice please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hello folks
Sorry I’ve not introduced myself on this site yet . Just taken up beeping and this my first year solo ( had a bit of mentoring last year) my bees have swarmed today found them in the next field and got the queen . Got them all a poly nuc now away from my original hive my question is do l need to feed this nuc . All I have in there at the moment is 3 frames

Last edited by a moderator:
The normal advice is not to feed immediately to get them to use the honey they took with them to draw comb - then any disease they might have is transferred to the comb. Then carry out varroa treatment and feed on day three.
But if they are your bees and if you know they are healthy and don't have a varroa load I would give them the frames they need and feed them to settle them in.
Others may well disagree...

Thanks for the reply,sorry they are my bees.When you say give them the frames they need do l just fill the nuc with 6 frames that have not been drawn ( new) ? They are in a Payne’s poly nuc . What should I feed them ,keep reading different things

Empty frames are fine but a drawn one would be good to give the queen somewhere to start. Feed one part sugar to one part water. Don't leave any frame gaps or you will get wild comb
E

Thanks for the advice guys , I have been reading so many different variations on what to do in different circumstances which is quite confusing. I must have missed a QC on inspection last Saturday. I will feed them tomorrow and l guess it’s waiting to see if the queen has a successful mating flight. Thanks again

Thanks for the advice guys , I have been reading so many different variations on what to do in different circumstances which is quite confusing. I must have missed a QC on inspection last Saturday. I will feed them tomorrow and l guess it’s waiting to see if the queen has a successful mating flight. Thanks again

Hi Milltown, Have you got the old Q there i.e. prime swarm or is it a cast swarm with a virgin?
You must check the original hive for more missed QCs, easily done, otherwise you risk more swarms. Well done for hiving them.

Back