Swarm 10th oct

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteshive

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
One of my hives swarmed on 10th oct on 2 bb full of stores should 1 squeeze it down to 1 bb or just leave alone until spring i have not opened it as all my hive are locked down for winter

One of my hives swarmed on 10th oct on 2 bb full of stores should 1 squeeze it down to 1 bb or just leave alone until spring i have not opened it as all my hive are locked down for winter

Hi and welcome!

Did you have any need for those stores in any of your other hives?
Not sure why else you might be considering disturbing things?

I hope its not going to become usual to have unusual years ... :)

Our new secretary picked up a swarm yesterday or rather they ploncked themselves at her apiary. But both the association's and her colonies still appeared to be at "full strength", so some one else's bees we think. Anyway boxed up and taken to an out apiary just in case.

Leave them . All of mine were on double brood boxes, top box completely full of cappped stores by mid October last year . By March they had the top box cleaned out on 2 of 5 hives & were working their way though the bottom box. you can always bruise any ivy stores in spring if they don't uncap them , to get the brood frames empty

Hello,
Did you manage to catch the swarm?
Are you sure you now have a queen in the swarmed hive?
If you have either queen cells or a newly hatched queen the odds are very much against her getting mated. Even if the hive is locked down you will be better off checking.
You can then unite both brood boxes onto other colonies and strengthen them for winter.
Good Luck.

No I did not catch the swarm I have 2 nucs with good queens would I be better of uniting these to the 2 bb if there is a vergin queen there could be trouble

I would leave them alone.
Just a question, did you see the swarm emit from the hive? Reason I ask is you say

"all my hives are locked down for winter."

You haven't looked in, are you sure it's from this hive?

Back