Swallows Arrived

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes and it's very sad. It seems that most of our summer migrants are getting it in the neck at both ends of their travels...

I agree, and I'm going to start talking about memory lane now, but in the last 40 years, all UK species seem to have declined.

I see less and less species every year, apart from sparrows, they seem to be increasing exponentially around here, and are the Sparrows are waiting for the House Martins and Swallows to build nests, and then invade on mass, and take them over as their nests.

I believe, that's why there declining around here, I used to see 20 pairs of Swallows 10 years ago, and I'd be lucky to get 2-6 pairs now.

I used to hear the first one in the Penllergaer forestry - just north of M4 J47 - usually on or about the 23rd April. Haven't heard one around there for years, now.

We used to get swifts round here by the bucket-load - just fabulous to hear their shrill voices as they sweep low over the houses. This year, (so far she says in wistful hope), five.

Latest posts

Back