supersedure?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdNewman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi All, I have one "weak" hive at home, they swarmed early last year mid way through a bailey comb change and 10 months on the bees have only drawn 7 frames in a 14 x 12 and the queen is only laying in 5. During my inspection on Saturday I found a frame with two queen cells, one right in the middle of the frame and the other hanging off the bottom, no other qc's in the hive. To give myself some time I destroyed the QC's.

I have just completed another inspection, the queen is there and laying but there are two new QC's tucked away right at the side of the frame, no other QC's.

When I first saw it on Saturday I thought it may be supersedure cells, but seeing the QC's tucked away at the side of the frame has made me question myself.

Should I do an artificial swarm, or just let the bees get on with supersedure?

Due to neighbours being a little annoyed about a swarm flying across their Garden a few weeks back (not from my hives fortunately) I want to avoid a swarm at all costs. To this end is it worth doing an artificial swarm anyway and then reuniting later (I am just a little worried about ding that as they do seem to be a weak colony).

Cheers,
Ed.

What choice if 'avoiding any chance of a swarm at all cost'?

Mistake was panicking and destroying them without considering the age of the larvae and the form of the cells.

Breaking down supercedure cells will only mean more cells being made, and possibly them changing to multiple cell building.

Remove the queen to another box (a nuc box would be best as flying bees will not be joining them) and see what happens. No other choice is there? Be sure to reduce to one cell in the old box and they will not swarm whatever.

Cull the old queen at some point and re-unite the bees. A laying queen in reserve is comon sense in a situation like this.

Amen to the above. Be sure that the cell you leave is open and that you can see a good large larva in it with plenty of jelly. Mark the frame with a drawing pin so you know which cell you've chosen when you go back in again 4 days after removing the Queen in order to cull any cells that may have been made under the emergency impulse. All being well you won't find any more but it does happen. Good luck and I hope the new young Queen turns out to be vigorous.

go back in again 4 days after removing the Queen-

Might be enough, but certainly not water-tight! Day 6 from egg can be converted to queen cells at a push, if you were not aware.

Typo rab - yes, I am aware, having been almost caught out a couple of years ago. Three days as egg and another three days as upgradeable larva.

I am alway suspicious about assuming a supercedure during what is now the middle of the swarming season.
I would also play safe and take her out into a nuc as above.
Alec

Thanks for the help guys, the same conclusion I came to, but always nice to have a second opinion.

Ed.

Latest posts

Back