Super under bb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clemcook

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi guys,

My current set up is double brood, however, there hasn't been any laying in the bottom bb.

I am starting to finalise my winter plans. I have supers on all hives which are at various stages of untouched, partially filed or capped.

If I put super frames in the bb beloe the main nest -PAYNES POLLY (The super won't go under the bb, it doesn't fit) will they move the honey to the bb and will it be fine to do this soon and then leave them alone for winter.

Thanks
Clem

Last edited:
If you have a wooden super or an Abelo poly super they are an exact fit between the lugs on th e Payne floor.
Alternatively cut 4 bits off your Payne super so it does fit. That was what I did when I ran Paynes hives.

It is a full super of capped honey then leave it on top. If t is a few frames then your plan works or above a crown board with an eke between for them to rob it out.
E

It is a full super of capped honey then leave it on top. If t is a few frames then your plan works or above a crown board with an eke between for them to rob it out.
E

My experience last winter.. I left a full super (approx 10kg honey ) of capped honey under every brood box (Tired of manual extracting). Did not feed.

The supers were all empty in March...

Latest posts

Back