Super Management

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4degreesWest

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I think I’ve messed up…

I harvested some honey in August-got quite a good batch, and knowing that the Himalayan Balsam was out, I put all the supers back on top for the bees to reuse. Just looked in again today and there’s a fair bit of honey there but all uncapped and all over the place. Should I have put the supers on one by one after harvesting for them to fill systematically? If so, is there a way I can sort out the mess I’ve made.

Secondly, how important is it not to mix supers with honey in them from hive to hive. I keep my equipment strictly separated between my two apiaries, but does it do harm if I was to mix up the supers after overwintering if I store them wet?

Rookie errors maybe but I’m teaching myself from books and this forum.

Can you consolidate it into one super per hive. Pop it over an empty super over a reduced hole in the crownboard in the hope they take it down into the brood box.
OR you could spin off and feed back
OR you could dry, spin off and eat
I’ve never segregated supers. Frames get mixed up after extraction anyway. Whole lot are stored wet over winter and out in the first colony that needs it.

I think I’ll consolidate what I can. Spin the most full ones and try and get them down to one super per hive. I’m guessing it’ll be fine to eat, but won’t last as long if the moisture content isn’t right?

That’s what I wanted to hear re. mixing frames. I thought I was going to have to give everything serial numbers or something! 😂

I think I’ll consolidate what I can. Spin the most full ones and try and get them down to one super per hive. I’m guessing it’ll be fine to eat, but won’t last as long if the moisture content isn’t right?
Spin jar and freeze. Take out as you need and keep in fridge.

I think I’ve messed up…

Rookie errors maybe but I’m teaching myself from books and this forum.
Don't blame us!!!

Sort all the wet super frames into one super and manage that. Far simpler

Latest posts

Back