Super has queen laying, how do I get the bees back in the empty brood box?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK that's interesting, was hoping that if we give extra laying room there wouldn't be a need to split and they wouldn't swarm? I didn't really want to go above two hives if possible
Sadly it doesn't work like that. Swarming is the way bees reproduce. Like humans, you can't stop them doing it, All you can do is try and control it. You will need to split and recombine later if you want to keep all your bees! Be prepared for that. You always need to be prepared for twice the amount of hives you want and then reduce to the magic number in the autumn.
If you want more advice on this then there are plenty of threads. The trick is to keep it as simple as possible! 🤗

Sadly it doesn't work like that. Swarming is the way bees reproduce. Like humans, you can't stop them doing it, All you can do is try and control it. You will need to split and recombine later if you want to keep all your bees! Be prepared for that. You always need to be prepared for twice the amount of hives you want and then reduce to the magic number in the autumn.
If you want more advice on this then there are plenty of threads. The trick is to keep it as simple as possible! 🤗
Thank you

Yes ... but like me you don't use queen excluders and you have to accept that they sometime lay in the top box ... there's no need to swap the top to the bottom.

Accept or not, but bees use to start brooding in uppermost box, because it is warmest. So they live. And later the growing honey store pushes brood area downwards.

Accept or not, but bees use to start brooding in uppermost box, because it is warmest. So they live. And later the growing honey store pushes brood area downwards.
[/QUOTE

Goodness Finnie ... we seem to be agreeing about much more these days ....

Back