Super full

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

italic63

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Hello from Italy again. As advised by you during my last post, I put a super on last Sunday to give them more room and delay potential swarming. I was really surprised today to see the super completely full of bees. Last year was my first crop and the super was frames with just Foundation so was without bees for weeks before they filled out.
My question is... are they up there in great numbers to repair and prepare the super or could they be moving honey and nectar from the brood box up into the super to give the Queen more space?
Thanks as usual for your responses

are they up there in great numbers to repair and prepare the super or could they be moving honey and nectar from the brood box
Have a look. Pull a few frames.
:iagree:
my experience is, if the super is full of bees (as in as full as a brood box - not just a few bees kicking around) they are well into filling it and it's time to put yet another super on - once the super is full of honey, if you haven't given them extra space already, it's too late

As above pull some frames to see the contents, if outside frames are empty don’t be afraid to push them to the centre. Also if it is actually that full of bees you may need to consider another. In times of a decent flow they’ll easily fill a super in a week! Also check the brood box and ensure the queen has empty space to expand the nest.

:iagree:
my experience is, if the super is full of bees (as in as full as a brood box - not just a few bees kicking around) they are well into filling it and it's time to put yet another super on - once the super is full of honey, if you haven't given them extra space already, it's too late
Picking up on this, here's a picture of one of my supers this morning:IMG_20230410_134354.jpg

I've pulled some frames and guess it's about half full. There is the very beginning of capping happening in a few places. The hive is on 8/10 frames of brood. I was planning on leaving it a little longer (till 70/80% full) before adding another super. What would you do?

I'd put on another super immediately. the bees are still working back to back so you have a little bit of time (bees fill the stores up to single beespace eventually)
Ok - many thanks for that. Having never reached the heady heights of 2 supers before, as I understand it I put the second underneath the first / on top of the brood box right?

Ok - many thanks for that. Having never reached the heady heights of 2 supers before, as I understand it I put the second underneath the first / on top of the brood box right?
I’d think about another brood if they are filling that many brood frames already. You can add as many supers as you like but if your congested in the bb they will go!

I’d think about another brood if they are filling that many brood frames already. You can add as many supers as you like but if your congested in the bb they will go!
I was a tad nervous when you suggested double brood! Around here I've heard that for 'atomic' hives with a full flow on then you could do it. I've yet to see anyone though. As I'm based quite south of you (France near Spanish border) the colony isn't as advanced as you think.

I've just chucked another super on - good advice, so thank you @jenkinsbrynmair

Latest posts

Back