Super & brood boxes self assembly issue!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starbuck99

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just made up my new thorns national hive!
One problem, the supers are slightly out of square, only by 5mm on the side and front edge, will this be ok?

Thank you

Not really. Is this assembly operator error or a manufacturing fault? They are usually spot on.

make then on the crown board and ensure you square them up to the edge of the crown board before you finally drive the nail all the way in

i have a crown board with four right angle metal L bracket fixed to the corners....assemble the box on this board....all square, glue and nail up..leave for five minutes...done...all square...with two crown boards , i can make ten supers and hour

will it matter yours are 5mm out.....not really, you can use a national super on a comercilal box and they are 6mm different in dimensions

have you tried sitting on one corner with another on the the ground to move the lozenge shape squarer...then put a couple of extra nails in

also Th**nes instruction are bad, download the maisemore pdf on making them up. it is an easier method NOTE Caddon, easipet and other use the maisemore method rather than thorns method

it is basically , make up the two large sides, with the two top bearers and two bottom bearers into an open box, then push the smaller sides in them so their frame bearing edge ( with frame runner fitted if Th**nes) is the thicknes of a frame top bar plus 1mm below the top of the top bearing bar /large sides..i

you juste push it /knock it down so a top bar just is below the leval of the top of the large side.(ie you dont really need to measure just use a topbar of a frame as a template so the bearingedges/runners are in the correct position rather than measure before you fit everything as per the Th**nes instructions

Last edited:
They can sometimes be tweaked as above, a large rubber mallet and hit the corner to straighten, nails will bend slightly so put a couple more in or a few screws.

Cut a stick the length of the diagonals (tapered to a point at each end)check the stick matches the diagonals before fixing the BB /Supers :)
VM

Cut a stick the length of the diagonals (tapered to a point at each end)check the stick matches the diagonals before fixing the BB /Supers :)
VM

For goodness sake, VM!

Can't we drop all this stuff about matches?

Or were you trying to be provocative?

Dusty.

There's a subtle difference between "stick matches" and "matchsticks"...

Just made up my new thorns national hive!
One problem, the supers are slightly out of square, only by 5mm on the side and front edge, will this be ok?

Thank you

Assuming you have measured the diagonals and found 5mm difference then you are actually only 2.5mm out of square ;)

Latest posts

Back