Super almost full

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickysolar

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
One of my hives is on double brood to which I added a super a few weeks ago.
On checking the hive the super is 3/4 full and capped and it's only early May.
I've added another super but left the full one as unsure if I should be harvesting this time of year?

Is it oil seed rape? If so quickly spin it off as it sets hard

Potentially, there is some about 2 miles away though they are in an orchard with access to multitude of blossom... probably best not risk it. I'll remove!

One of my hives is on double brood to which I added a super a few weeks ago.
On checking the hive the super is 3/4 full and capped and it's only early May.
I've added another super but left the full one as unsure if I should be harvesting this time of year?

To try to reduce the brood nest getting congested with honey I would add another super long before the first one is capped.
Most of mine are on 3 or 4 supers with some having 5 supers. My clearers have got lost somewhere- need to have a proper search. Fortunately we don't have rape nearby. There is approx another 2 weeks left of the spring flow around here- tends to slow down after conker & Hawthorne stop flowering.
image.jpg

Is it oil seed rape? If so quickly spin it off as it sets hard

As well as the potential of honey setting in the comb if OSR is involved you should really add a super as soon as the 1st one is full of bees, no matter how full it is of honey imho.

The bees need space to store and process the incoming nectar, a strong colony could need 2 supers in order to process (dry out through evaporation) the nectar down to honey for 1 super.
Giving them plenty of space to process nectar also speeds up the process of them converting it to honey.

Latest posts

Back