Sunrise today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lying in bed this morning SWMBO and I noticed the red sunrise through the window. Sometime later we descended to find our son*, visiting for the w/e and dressed in Lycra, returning from a 45 minute frozen-footpath jog. This is a pic he took en route.
* age 50, he's a true MAMIL
E1DB4217-5CE9-4E6E-8E0B-338B5E6728DD.jpeg

I miss the big skies of Suffolk - now living in a Dorset vale, there’s not so much sky to see.

This was 07:50 this morning
These are the culprits behind the decimation of my fruit trees ,
Beautiful
Bstards

My veg plot is suffering similarly. I have been thinking that perhaps I could find room to squeeze a bit of venison into the freezer...

James

Pardon me if this has been said... a little known cheering astronomical fact: the earliest sunset is on the 13-14th December. Its getting lighter in the evenings already.

Pardon me if this has been said... a little known cheering astronomical fact: the earliest sunset is on the 13-14th December. Its getting lighter in the evenings already.
Thanks for that - I can't remember astronomy being part of the curriculum when I was at school......

I can't remember astronomy being part of the curriculum when I was at school...

Nor me. And more's the pity, really. There's a lot of interesting information that could be learned instead of the drivel that some people choose to believe instead, and that's not even starting on the ones who think that the Sun isn't a star, or don't understand that there is no "dark side of the Moon" or think that somehow the Moon isn't all there when you can only see half of it.

And then there's just the gobsmacking stuff like looking at the Moon (I think it's even more effective when using a decent size telescope) and knowing that men have walked around on it and come back, even if very few of them are still alive. Or finding Mars in the night sky (as you can in the early part of the night at the moment) and being aware that we have actually landed robotic explorers there.

James

Nor me. And more's the pity, really. There's a lot of interesting information that could be learned instead of the drivel that some people choose to believe instead, and that's not even starting on the ones who think that the Sun isn't a star, or don't understand that there is no "dark side of the Moon" or think that somehow the Moon isn't all there when you can only see half of it.

And then there's just the gobsmacking stuff like looking at the Moon (I think it's even more effective when using a decent size telescope) and knowing that men have walked around on it and come back, even if very few of them are still alive. Or finding Mars in the night sky (as you can in the early part of the night at the moment) and being aware that we have actually landed robotic explorers there.

James
Surely he deserves a mention!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Myung_Moon

So it is. My weather app says 30 seconds every day but sunrise is still getting later

“red sky in the morning, sheperd’s warning, red sky at night shepherd’s delight”

I always thought the shortest day was the 21st, but I guess not! The sun has been setting not long after 3 here (Scotland), it’s been beautiful with all the snow, the hills are pink just as it sets. This pic doesn’t do it justice at all.

I’ve got a stargazer app on my phone which is quite fun, you point it at the sky at any time and it shows you a simulated version of what’s up there and its location in the sky!

Also had to look up the term MAMIL - always learning!

Attachments

• 52B7161D-06FF-4C33-890B-2EA89A0B1A01.jpeg
    52B7161D-06FF-4C33-890B-2EA89A0B1A01.jpeg
    963.9 KB · Views: 0
It might be getting lighter in the evening after the 14th but sunrise is still getting later for a while
definitely - opened the pophole on the henhouse at the usual time this morning (before logging on to my Home Office treadmill) and no sign of them venturing out - I opened the door to make sure all was OK to be met with looks of disgust as they had no intention of stirring off their perches for a while yet

I always thought the shortest day was the 21st, but I guess not! The sun has been setting not long after 3 here (Scotland), it’s been beautiful with all the snow, the hills are pink just as it sets. This pic doesn’t do it justice at all.

Not always 21st December. Sometimes it's 22nd (2019 was the last time that happened I think). As Dani said, sunrise may be getting later up to that date (and beyond), but sunset may also be getting later. The exact times depend on your location and it's well-known that once you get far enough north to be inside the Arctic circle the Sun may never rise at all. For my location for example, sunrise today was at 8:13 and sunset will be at 16:07. On Christmas Day it will be 8:16 and 16:11.

James

8.41/3.39, not a great amount of daylight, in the summers though, it’s only dark for a few hours! it’s amazing the difference in one small island!

So it is. My weather app says 30 seconds every day but sunrise is still getting later
Yes. So I suppose its depressing news to those who have to get up early. That 30 seconds grows quickly through January....

I think sunrise turns around on the 1st Jan or thereabouts. That's when we can all breathe a sigh of relief, even while looking forward to the proper cold setting in!

08:22 & 16:08 for sunrise / sunset. but 07:41 Dawn and 16:49 dusk.

This morning I was trying to find out when the Persephone period ended here (the time when we have less than 10 hours of daylight). The 'official' weather sites say it won't be until mid-middle January but our home weather station says our sunrise today was 7:01 and sunset 17:00 , 9 hours and 59 minutes. It's interesting to see that y'all in your part of the world are as anxious for spring as I am.

Latest posts

Back