Summer's over?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On what part of Ukraine you live. IT is a big country. What is nearest town?
The nearest big city is Vinnytsia. This is the western or central region - it depends on how to look at.
Finland is big enough too (and very happy according to the last survey :).

First snow of the winter here in East Yorkshire this morning. Temperature has plummeted and the forecast is uninspiring. No bees flying although one or two faces inside the entrances peering out
Most hives feel up to weight and the ivy flowers are about finished. I'm reasonably confident the colonies will be fine. :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't 'wrap them up' at all - Christmas is a long way off.
Just put a slab of 50mm celotex above the (hole less) crown board and that will be ample.

But if one has more, putting all over would have more benefits. Best to keep all heat in rather than let some escape out the walls. I have been on houses with just insulation in the roof and houses where insulation all over. The latter would be warmer and the same would go for a hive.

I have been on houses with just insulation in the roof and houses where insulation all over.

Have you ever been in any that are up on stilts with a fully open mesh floor in this country?

Last edited:
Next we'll be nitting little jackets for them to keep them warm.
I read that finman had ice of the bottom of the inside walls of hives they seem to servive that even.

Does this debate take place every year?

Nothing wrong with tradition I suppose!

As a matter of interest I have one (v strong) hive where the bees seem to have no interest if syrup. I'm not too worried as the hive is beyond hefting. The other not so strong and the bees are still feeding, even in this cold weather. Hive almost as heavy.

I guess the bees just make up their own minds what's best for them.

Next we'll be nitting little jackets for them to keep them warm.
I read that finman had ice of the bottom of the inside walls of hives they seem to survive that even.

No need to go that far. In the winter of 2010-11 there were icicles (yellow stained!) hanging down below the ends of one TBH and extending onto the internal side walls (at the ends of the hives)..

We had a week of nights ranging form --10C to -15C...

Latest posts

Back