Summer is here, well in London

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've been stuck in November since November. I hope that winter doesn't arrive in April.

We have had 2ft+ Osr flattened with snow before in April.
Hope we are getting the easterlies out of the way now instead of just as the rape finishes flowering. We have tended to get most of our honey from the late stuff on the headlands & wheelings in the last few years.

Sensational here now, as advertised. Hopefully start some build-up for the flow trees in summer (my crop). I love selling honey but the downside is I have customers to keep happy!

For rape people I can see it's going to be a tricky year; good luck.

It was -2C this morning, and the nights have been very cold, although the days have warmed up nicely. Plenty of rain on the way tonight which will make tonight a bit warmer, but the rain will keep them indoors. Doesn't look much like summer here yet!

9 degrees at the warmest yesterday, and the birdbath was frozen over this morning. A few hardy bees from the poly nuc are out and about, but it's certainly not the day for foraging.

It was -2C this morning, and the nights have been very cold, although the days have warmed up nicely. Plenty of rain on the way tonight which will make tonight a bit warmer, but the rain will keep them indoors. Doesn't look much like summer here yet!
It wont look like summer yet it is still Spring..:spy:

Frosty fields all around us this morning....the skies were clear and blue....and sunny...oh heavenly sunshine. Still got a cold wind though...brrrr.

Frosty here but been a glorious day. Spotted first House Martin ��
I was reading about the migratory birds earlier and there is a trickle of birds coming over, House Martin / Sand Martin / ChiffChaff and Wheatear to name a few are starting to get spotted but a cold band of weather further south is holding them back and the Cuckoos are heading to cross the Sahara in a few day's, it seems like it might be another late spring but then again anything can happen these days.

I was reading about the migratory birds earlier and there is a trickle of birds coming over, House Martin / Sand Martin / ChiffChaff and Wheatear to name a few are starting to get spotted but a cold band of weather further south is holding them back and the Cuckoos are heading to cross the Sahara in a few day's, it seems like it might be another late spring but then again anything can happen these days.

There's one cuckoo going full throat on here - have a look in the cupboard under the stairs :D. Willow catkins starting to open around here.

A pair of swallows here in the Vale of Glamorgan! I expect they will take up residence in the stables again. 2 years ago, before we bought the property, the stables were used for storage and kept shut. Since we have used them for the horses...we have had them nesting in there.

Reported sighting this morning by a twitcher to BBC Radio Cornwall of a Golden Eagle flying along the banks of the GreatgreygreenslimeyTamarriverallsetaboutwithsecondhomes...first one seen this century!

Makes a change from the usual report of the first red herrings being landed at the fish quay in Plymouth Barbican.

Mytten da

Reported sighting this morning by a twitcher to BBC Radio Cornwall of a Golden Eagle flying along the banks of the GreatgreygreenslimeyTamarriverallsetaboutwithsecondhomes...first one seen this century!

Makes a change from the usual report of the first red herrings being landed at the fish quay in Plymouth Barbican.

Mytten da
Mindful of the date , I guess 😉

Seen our first thrush in the garden for at least 20 years. Four successive days.

(there are others at the bottom of the valley but we are c 40 meters higher.)

Seen our first thrush in the garden for at least 20 years. Four successive days.

(there are others at the bottom of the valley but we are c 40 meters higher.)

That's nice to hear. We used to get Song Thrushes regularly, they nested as well but Blackbirds have taken over in the past few years. Still have an early Spring visitor, singing his beautiful song, high up in the trees though.

We've been blessed with three pairs of siskins on the nyger-seed feeder for the last month. Only get them every few years.

We are getting Siskins and Goldfinches in hordes.
Last year we got only the odd one......strange how two years can differ so. Must be down to how weather affects migration

Back