Summer insulation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zante

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
I'll soon be building my first two hives, and I was wondering if it's a good idea to also build an insulating sleeve for them. It's not in the tropics, but in summer it's not unusual to reach 40 degrees Celsius. Some insulation should help the bees keep that heat out.

I'll soon be building my first two hives, and I was wondering if it's a good idea to also build an insulating sleeve for them. It's not in the tropics, but in summer it's not unusual to reach 40 degrees Celsius. Some insulation should help the bees keep that heat out.

Lots build their insulation in to the roofs of hives, permanently when their first constructed. perhaps helps cool in the summer, and certainly always there in the winter.
Theres a lot to be said for leaving on the insulation on in early spring anyway. cold nights aren't at all good!!

Considering the successful use of polyhives where the insulation is present all year why shouldn't it be?
I have foil faced kingspan cosies or bonnets which keep heat in during winter and reflect the sun in summer on hives which are in sun trap positions.

Didn't see any form of insulation on any hives whilst out in Africa and the bees seemed to manage fine in the hottest (and coldest) of weathers.
This insulation mullarkey is getting a bit silly now!

Greetings from sunny Spain,
We also have temps in the mid forties during July August and September,
when it reaches the mid thirties the queen goes off lay which enables the workers to spend more time on water duties,
Our Bees have only just stated to rear brood which is about a month behind last year, quite understandable as we have had one of the hottest summers on record,
Enjoy the learning curve, and don't ever Panic ,the bees always know best.

Just get a poly hive then you don't have to argue about insulation with anybody :D

Build your own polyhive but make it oversize so you can have a freestanding inner hive of wood to provide mechanical strength. Oh silly me thats a wooden hive with a poly cosy isn't it? :cheers2:

Didn't see any form of insulation on any hives whilst out in Africa and the bees seemed to manage fine in the hottest (and coldest) of weathers.

:iagree:
Same thing in Australia, temps in the forties doesn't affect them at all.

Only propolise the cell edges more.. and beards are bigger.
Wooden nucs need some shade, few combs gone down in full sun.

Just get a poly hive then you don't have to argue about insulation with anybody :D

I would have if I hadn't decided to move to Italy.
You have to search far and wide to find any poly hives, and when you do they're langstroth. In Italy the standard hive is dadant and langstroth are less used than even in the UK.

I would have if I hadn't decided to move to Italy.
You have to search far and wide to find any poly hives, and when you do they're langstroth. In Italy the standard hive is dadant and langstroth are less used than even in the UK.

I bet Abelo would supply you mail order :)
Or theres always ebay international :ohthedrama:

I bet Abelo would supply you mail order :)
Or theres always ebay international :ohthedrama:

The problem isn't sourcing them. I could even buy British National poly if I wanted to since I'll be travelling to London more or less once a month.

The problem will be being the only one with that standard for miles and miles around. There are two shops of beekeeping equipment I'll be able to reach with a short drive, but they only supply Dadant. If I need anything on short notice, for whatever reason (for example a bumper crop, a box breaks, catch a swarm, I find frames damaged and need foundation in a hurry and so on) I'd need to order it in and wait for it to arrive, even if they have it on their catalogues.

Dadant is the standard in Italy. Anything else accounts for less than 5%.

Last edited:
The problem isn't sourcing them. I could even buy British National poly if I wanted to since I'll be travelling to London more or less once a month.

The problem will be being the only one with that standard for miles and miles around. There are two shops of beekeeping equipment I'll be able to reach with a short drive, but they only supply Dadant. If I need anything on short notice, for whatever reason (for example a bumper crop, a box breaks, catch a swarm, I find frames damaged and need foundation in a hurry and so on) I'd need to order it in and wait for it to arrive, even if they have it on their catalogues.

Dadant is the standard in Italy. Anything else accounts for less than 5%.

Therein lies the art of engineering storekeeping. Hold sufficient spares in stock for eventualities without holding excessive amounts tying up money.
I'm on Abelo's doorstep but I still hold my own spares of what I use.

Therein lies the art of engineering storekeeping. Hold sufficient spares in stock for eventualities without holding excessive amounts tying up money.
I'm on Abelo's doorstep but I still hold my own spares of what I use.

What happens if I need a frame of brood from a fellow beekeeper or viceversa I want to help a fellow beekeeper with a frame?

Run at least 4 hives?
They can't all be in trouble at the same time?

Still, I think it's easier to stick to the overwhelming standard there and make an insulating sleeve.
Why look for trouble when you don't need to?

Latest posts

Back